Hermit Love? Or Hermit Cannabal?

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wake up this morning and watching my tank when I noticed a hermit crab going after another hermit crab. There is a considerable size difference. Not sure if they go crazy and kill each other or if this was an intimate moment between the two. When they're seemingly done, e little one wants to cuddle with the bigger one.

IMG_1483370949.393721.jpg

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be something in the water. After posting I look up and find another pair doing the same thing. There is only lonely one in there, but the first two aren't bothered.

IMG_1483371252.177470.jpg

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits go after each other to get the biggest shell. They will rip the other out so they can lay claim to it. They'll also kill snails to get their shells. I got rid of all my hermits and only have snails now.

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In both cases it was a bigger hermit going after a smaller hermit..so I don't think it was to take the shell. I also have vacant shells in the tank for when they're ready to upgrade.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By looking at your rocks and sand, it looks fairly new. Is there any algae or other food for them to eat? They may be going after each other to eat them.

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is fairly new. I have two clowns in there with 5 snails. The rocks are slowly getting pink. I feed the clowns twice a day with pellets and leave the leftovers for the hermits, seen them chow down on them. Every couple days I throw in a frozen shrimp cube and it feeds everything it seems.

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1483388645.810819.jpg

That brown blur in the middle is on the glass and only recently appeared, like the last day or so, should I clean it or let it go for now?

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it be. Your tank still will be going through its ugly stage while the biological sets itself up.

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out the hermit is psycho. I woke to a hermit that was ruthlessly ripped out of its shell, claws broken off, and nut job, his new name, just hanging out between the now dead hermit and its former shell. I should make a vacant sign and put it in the tank in the empty shell parking lot.

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hermit won't stop! I just saw him destroy another hermit crab and 3 snails! Working on getting a sump setup and planning on putting the snails in there. For now they are all at the top of the tank, safe from the hermits.

Back