High nitrates

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what do you have as far as crabs and snails, cleanup crews can help rid some of that waste, from just decomposing.

josepy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are all correct, with nitrated already high you would want to do about 50g every other day till the nitrates are gone. then after that about 15g a day there after as regular maintenance. also if you dont have activated carbon i would hhighhly recomment some of that. with the load of fish you have you may want to think aobut how much food you feed, thhat was and still is a friend of mines problem, he likes to over feed. :)

OP
OP
E

eland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what do you have as far as crabs and snails, cleanup crews can help rid some of that waste, from just decomposing.

I had a great clean up crew a few months ago but because of the fish I have now I would have to say I probably have half now.

OP
OP
E

eland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to turn the 80W uv off for a few weeks and see if that helps growing bacteria that may help in reducing nitrates.

OP
OP
E

eland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 40 gallon water change today and the Nitrates didn't come down much. I ordered a XL Next Reef SMR1 last night and will try the Ecobak pellets to see if that helps. Everything looks great but the Nitrate and Phosphate nmbers scare me.

I'm using the pellets in my 120 and I like the results i'm getting. I wasn't going to use the pellets in my 320 because I was using the UV. Does anyone run pellets and a UV?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

eland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put the Next Reef XL reactor on line this morning. I started with 500ml and next week I will bump it up to 1000ml. I tested the water this morning and the Nitrates were 40 -50 so I guess I will continue my water changes every week and will let you guys know if the numbers come down.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back