Hinged AI Prime Mount

cmcimino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JBJ 28 Nano Cube, with an AI Prime and found the tank mount to be a total pain with the filter section on the nano cube. The plastic screw for the mount had to be screwed out every time I wanted to get in the media basket. I upgraded to an inTank media basket and want to grow chaeto so I wanted to make a mount that made it easier to access the media basket. I was able to make this mount for around $20.

List of Materials
Shelf Bracket: You could go with about any shelf bracket here, I chose this one because it was cheap, sturdy, and looked good.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Sele...6-in-D-Black-Decorative-Shelf-Bracket/3455946

Cabinet Hinges: You can also pick your style of hinge, but you need an inset cabinet hinge to allow room for the screws.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-...tte-Black-Self-Closing-Cabinet-Hinges/1063405

Existing AI Prime Mount: You only need the horizontal piece, and the part that screws into the light.

Hardware:
Qty of 8, 6-32 Screws, washers, and lock washers.
Qty of 6, 6-32 nuts.
Qty of 2, 6-32 wing nuts.
Make sure all of this is stainless hardware!
Qty of 4 dry wall anchors, unless this is screwed into a stud.

Steps
1. Mark holes for hinges on shelf bracket.
2. Screw holes for hinges on shelf bracket.
IMG_6623.JPG

I used a Dremel after this to grind any excess metal off, and ran the metal brush on it to smooth it out.
3. On the horizontal part of the shelf bracket drill two holes to fasten the the light bracket on the shelf bracket.
3. Install hinges. Slide screw through, place flat washer on, lock washer, and then nut. If you plan on painting the bracket do not tighten these down all the way.

At this point your mount should look something like this.
IMG_6627.JPG

IMG_6626.JPG

At this point you can take the hinges off an paint everything if you'd like.

Once everything is dry, mark you holes on the wall and screw it in!

Mine looks like this:
IMG_6646.JPG

This is my first tank so its currently empty. First fish is in QT.

The light hinged back:
IMG_6647.JPG

Showing the space at the media basket:
IMG_6648.JPG

This project took me around 3 hours to complete. This was over the course of 3 days to allow paint to dry. This is my first DIY writeup ever, so please excuse any mistakes, and lack of descriptions. I hope someone find this is helpful! Please let me know if you have any questions or comments!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back