Hippo Tang ailment 8 weeks into QT??

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things have not improved. I had an issue with my kole tang bloating/getting dropsy during a large water change and filter clean. Not sure exactly what happened but assuming it has something to do with the maintenance.

Still just the hippo tang showing any symptoms, the kole tang, powder blue, fox face and two clowns are fine.

The hippo has the spots like ich but it also has a grayish white growth on the side that is larger than an ich spot. Velvet maybe?

So.... lets start fresh. Hypo or copper or other? How do I end this nightmare!
Copper, sounds like you just need more. Hippo tend to discolor easily with any ailment, but I would avoid hypo because it doesn't address velvet.

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tested my copper, I have tested it with two different kits as a matter of fact. Entirely possible/probable that I am doing something drastically wrong.

What is better hypo or copper?

Hypo at 1.009 for 4 weeks

Or

A copper / cupramine treatment for 4 weeks.

If you say copper, what is your preferred brand and dosing level?

I'm so sick of this QT...... And its only the hippo that has ever showed anything.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tested my copper, I have tested it with two different kits as a matter of fact. Entirely possible/probable that I am doing something drastically wrong.

What is better hypo or copper?

Hypo at 1.009 for 4 weeks

Or

A copper / cupramine treatment for 4 weeks.

If you say copper, what is your preferred brand and dosing level?

I'm so sick of this QT...... And its only the hippo that has ever showed anything.

I prefer coper out of the two options you mentioned. Hypo doesn't treat for velvet or brook or even some types of ick! Pretty useless IMO except for special circumstances. I like coppersafe and use it at the store on most of our fish and at home.

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Things have only gotten worse. All fish have died except a small clown a fox face and a blue powder tang that has ich (or whatever spawn of satan has taken over) and is emaciated and will likely not see Monday..

I've tried two different forms of copper, two different test kits, water changes, hypo, prazipro. All as directed, all separately.

I am so tempted to just put the clown, fox face and powder blue in the display because f$#& it the qt tank has been so much worse.. The tank has been fallow since September.

Heartbreaking because I believe it is user error. It's the simplest answer. And I've been so good about everything else in this hobby.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand how this is possible, something isn't working. Are you sure you're dosing and testing copper properly?

Sorry for your struggle but I've never heard of this happening

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you 100%. This is user error which makes it all the worse.. I've written/rewritten long replies here and just end of deleting them because its redundant.

I've followed the letter of the law on the use of the treatment options and had no success. The only thing I can think of is that my cupramine level was not high enough, or maintained long enough. Maybe that occured during a water change..maybe the cupramine level dropped over time and my test wasn't picking it up.

One thing is for sure, the ability to read a copper test kit is beyond me. The difference between .5 and 1 whether SeaChem or API is all but impossible. As much as I hate to say it this has completely turned me off using a QT.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you 100%. This is user error which makes it all the worse.. I've written/rewritten long replies here and just end of deleting them because its redundant.

I've followed the letter of the law on the use of the treatment options and had no success. The only thing I can think of is that my cupramine level was not high enough, or maintained long enough. Maybe that occured during a water change..maybe the cupramine level dropped over time and my test wasn't picking it up.

One thing is for sure, the ability to read a copper test kit is beyond me. The difference between .5 and 1 whether SeaChem or API is all but impossible. As much as I hate to say it this has completely turned me off using a QT.

There are other methods besides copper. You could try running TTM and saving copper for velvet emergencies. OR you can hunt around for a vet to prescribe CP for you. I would still save it for emergency velvet problems, but there are other options besides copper. I would hope you will try one of these other methods before giving up. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back