Home-study of fish disease/parasites

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like something to have in the aquarium first aid kit.

My fear is some will manhandle (and damage) the fish while attempting to apply it. So, using a sedative (such as MS 222) beforehand might be a wise course of action depending upon the situation.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 for little goby and he seems to be hanging in there pretty good. No noticeable difference in the infection but I don't expect any improvement so soon.
IMG_2611.JPG

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it's looking really good. Far less angry and red. If you can prevent infection from spreading it should heal nicely. I don't recall if you were giving anything to boost the immune system?

Agreed, the redness is gone. Now the wound just needs to heal.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man you've made great progress! You stopped an angry infection from progressing. The redness is gone and it looks way better. If he keeps eating that enthusiastically he'll stay on the right road.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's still got a little bit of redness on the inside that I couldn't capture in the picture, but y'all are right it does look better already. He's even gotten some of his coloring back in that area. @Valkyrie as of right now I don't have any vitamins or supplements to add to his food, however tomorrow I'm going on a shopping spree on Amazon. I'm getting low on metro and kana anyway so I figured I'd stock my medicine cabinet with a few extra goodies while I'm at it.
On a side note, I have wondered to myself what kinds of interesting looks I would get if non-reefers were to see my cabinet full of weirdly named packages and bottles? o_O:D

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, I have wondered to myself what kinds of interesting looks I would get if non-reefers were to see my cabinet full of weirdly named packages and bottles? o_O:D

lol. I've gotten some weird looks from family that peaks into the cabinet on the Coral QT. It's full of meds and chemicals.

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of the medications in our cabinets a
He's still got a little bit of redness on the inside that I couldn't capture in the picture, but y'all are right it does look better already. He's even gotten some of his coloring back in that area. @Valkyrie as of right now I don't have any vitamins or supplements to add to his food, however tomorrow I'm going on a shopping spree on Amazon. I'm getting low on metro and kana anyway so I figured I'd stock my medicine cabinet with a few extra goodies while I'm at it.

That's the nice thing about fish, they heal so much better than land mammals. More like how the inside of our mouths heal quick and easy.
I need to reread Humble's medication list myself, so that I can stock up for the coming months. I have so many different medications for my animals that I think they take up more space than meds for the 2 humans that live here! LOL I recently discovered I still have a large jar of potassium permanganate that I use for wounds on my koi and goldfish. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! Between my fish, cats (one of which has an incurable virus and is always on meds) and my dogs (two have various supplements) I am also on the boat of having more meds for my pets than the humans.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6 of treatment. Yesterday he started to lose enthusiasm for food so I've started adding garlic and he's accepted that so far. He's looking really good, I can't see any redness and the skin isn't inflamed anymore. It even looks like the hole has gotten a tad smaller. I was going to get some pictures today with my camera but I ended up getting in a bad car accident today while I was in town for a job interview. My tailbone is killing me and I don't want to move around more then necessary. I should be able to keep giving updates, I just hope I will have enough energy tomorrow to do a water change on his tank.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting in a bad car accident today while I was in town for a job interview. My tailbone is killing me and I don't want to move around more then necessary. I should be able to keep giving updates, I just hope I will have enough energy tomorrow to do a water change on his tank.

I'm so sorry! I hope you arn't hurt too bad and feel better soon.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6 of treatment. Yesterday he started to lose enthusiasm for food so I've started adding garlic and he's accepted that so far. He's looking really good, I can't see any redness and the skin isn't inflamed anymore. It even looks like the hole has gotten a tad smaller. I was going to get some pictures today with my camera but I ended up getting in a bad car accident today while I was in town for a job interview. My tailbone is killing me and I don't want to move around more then necessary. I should be able to keep giving updates, I just hope I will have enough energy tomorrow to do a water change on his tank.
I'm sorry to hear this! Please keep us informed of your health as well as the fish. I hope you got some muscle relaxants to help with tomorrow.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting in a bad car accident today while I was in town for a job interview. My tailbone is killing me and I don't want to move around more then necessary. I should be able to keep giving updates, I just hope I will have enough energy tomorrow to do a water change on his tank.

Your well-being is more important than that fish's health (and you know how I feel about sick fish.) So do what you can for him but put yourself first & foremost. Any local reefers/friends you can reach out to for help?

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pain has already gotten worse since leaving the urgent care, especially in my tailbone. My back and neck are starting to get stiff and sore too. Unfortunately my car is totally wreck and not salvageable, or at least not enough to make it worth the money. It was mostly my fault, I was on the phone with my sister and somehow missed the sign for road work. It's a small two lane road and I didn't see the traffic cones merging the left lane, which was the lane I was in. Stupidly I slammed on brakes because I ran out of road and I couldn't merge over because traffic was too thick. It was a 50mph section and the guy that ran into me said that he was looking to the right trying to merge and didn't see me stop. I don't think he had time to brake at all so he plowed right into me. Took off my entire bumber, the right taillight, the right rear axle and tire were destroyed, the trunk was basically pushed into the car and the right rear door was pushed up far enough that it was overlapping the front passenger door. I got hit so hard that my car did a complete 180 and was shoved onto the grass/concrete median. His cars front end was completely destroyed too. I feel horrible about it, it could have been so easily avoided. And the worst part was that he had his 3yr old daughter with him. We are all incredibly lucky to come out with only numbs and bruises but I hate to think what could have happened to that little girl had things gone differently. And now I am without a car, noway to purschase another one, so I will have to try and make do with carpooling. This year has only just begun and it's already given me more stress than the last two years combined. Life is not dealing me any favors lately.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble the only reefer I know in this area was my supervisor at work (used to be he doesn't work there anymore), but he got out of the hobby a few months ago and I haven't even heard from him since Christmas. My sisters try their best to help me out but they only know so much and I'm not very good at giving instructions. Also more than that I've nearly run out of salt and with the bunch of unexpected bills I've had come up the past two weeks I simply don't have the spare cash to purchase salt right now. Oh Lordy, what a mess I've found myself in....
Oh and I don't have any friends to help either, I've never been much of a social butterfly ha.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GHsaltie Oh wow, I don't even know what to say. I thought my year had gotten off to a bad start...

Just try to get better and don't worry about the fish stuff right now. He will likely heal on his own at this point.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here I am trying to sleep and I can't even do that. Every time I close my eyes I feel the impact again, hear the cars crashing into each other and I can't stop picturing that girls face streaming tears as her dad got her out of the car. I wish the doctor could have given been a sedative too.

Back