Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 3 Add other ingredients
I add Cyclope, Consentrated phyto plangton, don’t forget corals need to feed also, Oyster feast, rinse a bunch of frozen brine shrip and add also.
i1.jpg
i2.jpg
i3.jpg
i4.jpg

i1.jpg

i2.jpg

i3.jpg

i4.jpg

OP
OP
Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 6. Insert in ice cube forms, freeze and after insert in zip locks, you can feed by just throwing ice cubes in the tank, or theway I do it is put tank salt water in a cup, let it defrost, mix with a spoon and target feed corals first and after just empty in tank. Hope all of you have healthy and nice colored fish J ahhhhh I forgot clean up after you finish J
d1.jpg
d2.jpg
d3.jpg
d4.jpg
ivits

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

d4.jpg

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea on the ice cube trays. Does the frozen food come out of those fairly easily? I had tried the idea of using a section of egg crate placed on a cookie sheet and than frozen. The idea was once the food was frozen it would pop out of the egg crate and have small cubes like the frozen fish food that you buy. That did not work, ended up having to let things thaw out just enough so I could get it out of the egg crate and placed it in ziplock bags, flattened it and placed in the freezer. Not bad but if you get the slabs of food too thick can be a little difficult to break off a smaller piece depending on how much you feed.

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just put shrimp/clams/scallops with some norri and phytoplankton in my wifes (which is know mine from this process) food processor and almost liquify it freeze it in ice cube trays like the little ones you have . thaw it out in my wifes small glass bowl (which is know also mine) use a medicine saringe to target feed my corals/fish 20ml at a time

OP
OP
Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea on the ice cube trays. Does the frozen food come out of those fairly easily? I had tried the idea of using a section of egg crate placed on a cookie sheet and than frozen. The idea was once the food was frozen it would pop out of the egg crate and have small cubes like the frozen fish food that you buy. That did not work, ended up having to let things thaw out just enough so I could get it out of the egg crate and placed it in ziplock bags, flattened it and placed in the freezer. Not bad but if you get the slabs of food too thick can be a little difficult to break off a smaller piece depending on how much you feed.
Barb, they come out great, much better than using zip locks to freeze, they settle down better in ice cubes trays and you can also measure better J

OP
OP
Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just put shrimp/clams/scallops with some norri and phytoplankton in my wifes (which is know mine from this process) food processor and almost liquify it freeze it in ice cube trays like the little ones you have . thaw it out in my wifes small glass bowl (which is know also mine) use a medicine saringe to target feed my corals/fish 20ml at a time
Yes the corals love it, there is also other famus methodes outhere like the "papone and blue something methodes" but corals dont know food names lol.

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also have another recipe i just started using where i catch spawning fish for there egg sack soak there egg sacks in a heavy brine (1/2cup table salt to 3 cups ro/di water) soak over night. empty into a brine shrimp sieve and rinse with ro/di water then put those in the food processor blend them with nori sheets and phyto. and freeze in small ice cube trays. my fish absolutly go crazy for the little eggs and my corals surprisingly love them also

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about posting a diy next time I made my food, this was a first and wasn't sure how it would turn out. The fish love it, right now no corals so as that becomes a need will change my recipe. I tore up some nori into small pieces and soaked that in some selcon and garlic extract. While I had the nori soaking I defrosted some frozen fish food that I had on hand, emerald entree, krill, baby brine shrimp, and a carnivore frozen. I also placed in a small bowl some ocean nutrition formula one and two pellets and let that soak in some garlic extract. In the blender I added scallops and shrimp added a little bit of rodi water to allow things to blend easily. Blended until pretty much a paste form and added in nori and thawed frozen foods added some more selcon and blended to mix it up. Poured into a bowl and placed into ziplock bags and into the freezer they went.

So far everyone is loving it, my snails will even come out of the sand bed as soon as this hits the water. I thaw out a small amount in a small measuring shot glass in some aquarium water. I am looking for some other things to try, still trying to locate a local place that has a good selection on seafood, have a few places to check out still.

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got lucky living in wisconsin i have a local seafood market that sells fresh muscles clams shrimp scallops still alive in there shell he has squid in live tanks so i know its all fresh.

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was living in one of the larger cities I would have a better selection there is an Asian market that is about an hour west of me and another one about the same distance south, and than east of me is the metro Detriot area which I am fairly sure is not lacking in asian markets.

GregAW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this mixed package of sea food and thought it might be a good starter for a diy food. Aqua Star Uncooked Seafood Mix, 14 oz it contains Octopus, squid, shrimp, clams or mussels. Wal Mart carries it here in my area.

shells4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We also make our own DYI blend--approximately the same as yours. I prefer to use our marjarita maker rather than the food processor. I just like the texture of the food better. One thing my husband does that has worked very well is when I am done making the food mixture, I leave a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) in the marjarita maker (or food processor) and he fills it with RO/DI water then blends it for several minutes. He then leaves the solution to separate in the refrigerator for a few hours. The heavier particals settle to the bottom. He than uses a turkey baster and sucks the mostly clear solution off the top and freezes that in ice cube trays. He feeds his corals with this solution. They absolutely love that food, much more than any coral food we have bought at the LFS.

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this mixed package of sea food and thought it might be a good starter for a diy food. Aqua Star Uncooked Seafood Mix, 14 oz it contains Octopus, squid, shrimp, clams or mussels. Wal Mart carries it here in my area.

Sounds good, don't think I have seen that at my Walmart but will have to take another look next time I am there.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back