Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can crushed garlic be used and how much?

I have read other fish food diy's that people have posted in which they used fresh garlic. Depending on the amount you are making I would probably start off with a clove or two and see how that works.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

GregAW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read other fish food diy's that people have posted in which they used fresh garlic. Depending on the amount you are making I would probably start off with a clove or two and see how that works.

Thanks Barb. I have the crushed kind that you get at the store. I could grow some it's good for keeping pests out of the yard too.

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff from the store I would make sure to check to see what it is kept in. I have a jar of the minced garlic in my fridge that I have thought about using the only thing is that it has phosphoric acid listed as one of the three ingredients. Something that I will need to do some research on to make sure it is safe to use in the aquarium.

GregAW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I mixed up my concoction and gave it a try and the fish seem to love it. The Wal-Mart mix package, some formula 1 flake food, some 50/50 bloodworm/brine shrimp, some salad shrimp, mysys shrimp, a couple of sheets of Green Marine Algae, Kent's Coral Accel, and some crushed garlic. All were rinsed well and then put in the food processor and blended well. packaged flat in zip lock bags since my ice trays haven't shown up yet.

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great Greg, I am still on my first bag of the three that I made awhile back. Need to see about getting the icecube trays before I get ready to make up my next batch.

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just made my first batch of DIY coral food. Used raw shrimp bodies, fresh garlic and sushi nori paper, and a little tank water, blended it til smooth and paste like. Its in ice tray now freezing, already added a little to the tank we'll see how everyone is feeling soon. This is def much much cheaper, and this way you know exactly whats going into your coral food.

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using this as a base recipe my corals, and fish love this stuff. The only downside I see is that my protien skimmer goes nuts when I add the food to the tank, from empty collection cup to full within 20-30 mins. Wondering if that is normal? All I used are raw shimp(no heads, peeled, deveined) fresh organic garlic, and nori sushi paper(toasted) blended it with tank water and froze it. I dont mind emptying the collection cup after feeding, especially seeing the way my corals react to it. =)

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this closely. Interesting and wondering if any of you are experiencing nitrate issues with all this food? How often are you feeding these mixtures as I've heard rods food causes significant issues with trates?

OP
OP
Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this closely. Interesting and wondering if any of you are experiencing nitrate issues with all this food? How often are you feeding these mixtures as I've heard rods food causes significant issues with trates?
It really depends on the system.

reefin101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great receipies guys. What do you think it costs you to make this say per lb or whatever. Considering an all inclusive blend for fish and reef. So the mix with all the rotifers, oyster eggs, and what not.....

OP
OP
Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great receipies guys. What do you think it costs you to make this say per lb or whatever. Considering an all inclusive blend for fish and reef. So the mix with all the rotifers, oyster eggs, and what not.....
Nori, shrimp etc about $ 12 per pound or less.

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea depends on what you can get the shrimp and nori for. I spent about 8 dollars and made a full ice cube tray full and had a little left over which I used to feed that day. I have noticed no change in water conditions, other than my protein skimmer filling way faster for about 2 hours after feedings.

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made some with another member on here. He went to the local meat market and asked if they had any fish they were going to throw out and he got a whole box of stuff. We had tuna, scallops and all kinds of stuff.

Our local reef club had a bunch of samples of IO cyclopeeze and other things so we added those, garlic and even phytoplankton. It turned out great.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back