Homemade Fish Food Ideas (DIY)

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i heard too much protein (shrimp, squid) will cause constipation in the fish. Not sure how true this is.
where did you hear this? I've never had a problem with the mix I use
Also, would that be ok if I put green cooked vegetable into the home made food u think?
I've seen people adding veggies but I can't recall if they have to be cooked or not.

reef123456

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I heard on youtube. I guess it's just common belief.
have you ever tried putting seaweed in the mix? cuz only my tang eats nori sheet.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I guess if you all want to go to this much trouble, you probably end up with some pretty good food. However,I'm not really understanding the purpose; there are many quality fish food companies out there that turn out well balanced, quality products. Why would you go through all this trouble, destroy food processors, ice trays, etc., to come up with essentially the same thing?

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda goofy but would this work? (I do think the hearts are cute, but it's also a buck)
555c3372e0ebce1ce1e8470f-contest.jpg

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I guess if you all want to go to this much trouble, you probably end up with some pretty good food. However,I'm not really understanding the purpose; there are many quality fish food companies out there that turn out well balanced, quality products. Why would you go through all this trouble, destroy food processors, ice trays, etc., to come up with essentially the same thing?

To Save money, way cheaper to DIY.
To save time, rather then melting the frozen adding in pellets, reef rods, garlic, vitamins. Soaking for at least 30 mins....its all in there already just dump in the tank(though I generally do still melt it)
know exactly whats in it, rather then mystery maybe's.
location not all of have LFS's that carry anything beyond your basic frozen brine and blood worms.

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well "quality fish food companies" is subjective to say the least.
IMOP Im not destroying a food processor or ice trays and it is not much trouble at all for me.
It is the satisfaction of providing the freshest food for my fish and coral, not to mention I can make about three months worth of food for the same price if not less than the prepackaged stuff.
Keeping in mind and understandably so that they must pay for there preservatives, packaging and distribution of there product.

MikeWatts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. This might cheaper than buying Rod's food every week. Thanks a lot. I won't eat it but I bet my fishies will love it

Ridgeway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding DIY foods for some time and I believe the advantages are:

1. You know what's going in there
  2. Only large particles of food and not lots of high No3 liquid stuff that Aips love
  3. Cheaper than regular frozen fish foods
  4. Self satisfaction of making your own chum
Generally I tend to stick to the following base ingredients:

• Prawns
  • Squid
  • Mussels
  • Clams
I guess like most people I just whizz this through a liquidiser although I do like to avoid obliterating them and just ending up with dust ! I them usually add some home made phytoplankton in liquid form so the whole thing will freeze down nicely, then I just press it down in a plastic box, freeze it and a day or so later just cut it into chunks.

Tonight mine are on chopped mussels followed by clams.

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I started making my own food my tank looks heatheir And my soft corals are growing at a much better rate than before.My mix consists of Brine shrimp,sand shrimps, mussels,oysters,fish pieces some Red Sea reef energy A and B and some garlic run through a liqudiser and sieved that only the finest particales stay these are mixed with boiled tank water and kept in the fridge the coarse pieces left over are frozen in cubes and fed to my fish as needed.the fine partical are feed to the corals as dust food.

EvsReef55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all the great tips and recipes. Guess I’ll be hitting the seafood market and playing in my kitchen this weekend!

Back