Hornets - care tips

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can everyone chime in on how thwy take care of their Hornets? I have red and blue hornets that stay closed most of the time ans ive had them since July. They are in medium light and medium flow. What do you guys find best that works for you with your hornets? Any other tips such as water conditions, parameters, feeding, etc, would be great.

If someone has responded feel free to respond so we will build this up with a lot of information for the next guy, ya know?

FLAdaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of a tank build and have them under T5. The tank is shallow so I guess it would be considered a higher light level. They are fat and love it. I did have some colonies under radions in a 90g. The intensity was 60%. I had lots of flow in that tank and had no issues. With zoas and palys, if the water is too clean then they don't do so well. Without really sitting here and going through a laundry list of issues you could possibly have, it's very difficult to determine your current problem. It could be a fish swimming in them or nipping at them, the powerhead could be blowing directly on them, your lighting (what kind?), tank might be too clean, etc.

Polishpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my blue hornets at the bottom of the tank about medium flow. they were closed all the time too. I actually just started feeding them twice a week and they have started to open up.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of a tank build and have them under T5. The tank is shallow so I guess it would be considered a higher light level. They are fat and love it. I did have some colonies under radions in a 90g. The intensity was 60%. I had lots of flow in that tank and had no issues. With zoas and palys, if the water is too clean then they don't do so well. Without really sitting here and going through a laundry list of issues you could possibly have, it's very difficult to determine your current problem. It could be a fish swimming in them or nipping at them, the powerhead could be blowing directly on them, your lighting (what kind?), tank might be too clean, etc.

I get what you are saying, I just wanted to know what works for some people and what your experience was. I moved them up to high light yesterday and and it worked for the red ones!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back