How can I fine tune my Probiotic system?

TomToro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First some info:

Using Bacter7 and Vodka since 7-23-09. I've noticed positive changes after a brief alk disaster. Now my corals are growing and showing colors I never thought I'd see in my tank. They aren't anything compared to some of the others I've seen, but for me personally, they're a vast improvement.

I'm showing no signs of nitrate or phosphate
I'm using Carbon and Ferros Oxide combined in a BRS reactor
I've removed all caulerpas and other algaes from my refugium
I have a dsb in my refugium and bb in the dt
I have 150lbs of LR in the dt and another 50lbs in the refugium
I do bi monthly water changes of about 20% Oceanic
My alk is usually between 6.5 and 7.5
Calcium usually 400
Mag very high 1600 (bryopsis now dead)
PH 8.0 and pretty steady
Temps fluctuate between 75 and 78 (I've since bought a rkl to steady this)
I have three 2" fish, One 3" fish, two 1.5" fish. 2 urchins, starfish, 3 Mex Turb
Lights MH x2 Iwasaki 175w on Icecap ballasts
2x6'vho super actinics
135gallon dt with 100gal sump
etss 1400 w/Iwaki 100rlt
etss 800 w/Iwaki 70rlt (both skimmers are pulling gunk)

After following the directions, I found my maintenance dosages:
B7 4 drops per day, 20ml once a week
Vodka 3ml per day

Other dosing:
Iodine 1 drop per day
Strontium only on the second week before water change 5ml per day
Magnesium only on the second week before water change 5ml per day
Kalk drip 24/7 1 drop per 2 seconds.

Feeding: fish, pinch every other day, Corals a pinch of coral frenzy and a pinch of cyclopeze once a week.

Circulation:Tunze 6060, maxi jet 1200Mod, Koralia 4, closed loop w/Dart and 8 nozzles. Return pump:Mag 18 into two 3/4" returns.

I have red turf algae and run away valonia. Obviously not an ULN system.

Questions(finally right?): How do I ramp up my dosages of B7 and Vodka?

I have biofuel coming in the mail figuring I'll diversify my bacterias since I'm only feeding one with the Vodka. How can I incorporate this into my system? Replace the vodka with Biofuel or in conjuction?

Could the dsb in the refugium be counterproductive to my ULN? Should I remove it and if so, how can I do this safely without causing the dreaded spike/cycle?

Should I remove the LR from the refugium? It's housing hundreds of pods that feed my mandarin when they make their way up to the dt.

I know I have a huge bioload of fish, but can this system work and still house them?

Thanks for any and all help on this.

Last edited:

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing vodka on my 105 gallon system for over a year and a half. I have a dsb and plenty of LR. I would not touch either of those in your system. I also dose BioDigest along with the vodka for bacterial diversity. I would just stick with trying different carbon sources(biofuel) first and take it from there. One thing you don't want to do is change more than one thing at a time. As a rule of thumb when I make changes to my system that affect water parameters it is only one thing at a time and in 4 week intervals with tons of testing along the way. If you change the carbon source and also something else and get results (bad or good), you won't know which caused the change.

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First some info:

Using Bacter7 and Vodka since 7-23-09. I've noticed positive changes after a brief alk disaster. Now my corals are growing and showing colors I never thought I'd see in my tank. They aren't anything compared to some of the others I've seen, but for me personally, they're a vast improvement.

I'm showing no signs of nitrate or phosphate
I'm using Carbon and Ferros Oxide combined in a BRS reactor
I've removed all caulerpas and other algaes from my refugium
I have a dsb in my refugium and bb in the dt
I have 150lbs of LR in the dt and another 50lbs in the refugium
I do bi monthly water changes of about 20% Oceanic
My alk is usually between 6.5 and 7.5
Calcium usually 400
Mag very high 1600 (bryopsis now dead)
PH 8.0 and pretty steady
Temps fluctuate between 75 and 78 (I've since bought a rkl to steady this)
I have three 2" fish, One 3" fish, two 1.5" fish. 2 urchins, starfish, 3 Mex Turb
Lights MH x2 Iwasaki 175w on Icecap ballasts
2x6'vho super actinics
135gallon dt with 100gal sump
etss 1400 w/Iwaki 100rlt
etss 800 w/Iwaki 70rlt (both skimmers are pulling gunk)

After following the directions, I found my maintenance dosages:
B7 4 drops per day, 20ml once a week
Vodka 3ml per day

Other dosing:
Iodine 1 drop per day
Strontium only on the second week before water change 5ml per day
Magnesium only on the second week before water change 5ml per day
Kalk drip 24/7 1 drop per 2 seconds.

Feeding: fish, pinch every other day, Corals a pinch of coral frenzy and a pinch of cyclopeze once a week.

Circulation:Tunze 6060, maxi jet 1200Mod, Koralia 4, closed loop w/Dart and 8 nozzles. Return pump:Mag 18 into two 3/4" returns.

I have red turf algae and run away valonia. Obviously not an ULN system.

Questions(finally right?): How do I ramp up my dosages of B7 and Vodka?

I have biofuel coming in the mail figuring I'll diversify my bacterias since I'm only feeding one with the Vodka. How can I incorporate this into my system? Replace the vodka with Biofuel or in conjuction?

Could the dsb in the refugium be counterproductive to my ULN? Should I remove it and if so, how can I do this safely without causing the dreaded spike/cycle?

Should I remove the LR from the refugium? It's housing hundreds of pods that feed my mandarin when they make their way up to the dt.

I know I have a huge bioload of fish, but can this system work and still house them?

Thanks for any and all help on this.

If its working this way and you say your readings are 0 then I wont bother with it

But yes everything you mention could be counter productive for an ULN sistem

The dsb could be remove in every water change in small portions to its all gone same with the rock

Good skimming and weekly water changes will also control your nutrients

OP
OP
TomToro

TomToro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, Paul. I need to do one change. Wait a couple of weeks and see. Then try something else. Etc. Thanks for the gut check.

I'll start with the biofuel and see.

I have been dosing vodka on my 105 gallon system for over a year and a half. I have a dsb and plenty of LR. I would not touch either of those in your system. I also dose BioDigest along with the vodka for bacterial diversity. I would just stick with trying different carbon sources(biofuel) first and take it from there. One thing you don't want to do is change more than one thing at a time. As a rule of thumb when I make changes to my system that affect water parameters it is only one thing at a time and in 4 week intervals with tons of testing along the way. If you change the carbon source and also something else and get results (bad or good), you won't know which caused the change.

OP
OP
TomToro

TomToro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its working this way and you say your readings are 0 then I wont bother with it

But yes everything you mention could be counter productive for an ULN sistem

The dsb could be remove in every water change in small portions to its all gone same with the rock

Good skimming and weekly water changes will also control your nutrients

My skimming should be good enough, but I can definitely increase the frequency of my water changes. First, biofuel. Then try upping my water change regime.

Thanks for the reply,
Tom

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tom, unfortunately the "red turf algae" is one that can survive and thrive in a ULNS. There is a thread on MR where someone is seeing success iradicating it with some kind of urchin, albeit to soon to see if it will consume the algae faster than the agae can reproduce.

I had it a long while back and ended up manually removing it all.

OP
OP
TomToro

TomToro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tom, unfortunately the "red turf algae" is one that can survive and thrive in a ULNS. There is a thread on MR where someone is seeing success iradicating it with some kind of urchin, albeit to soon to see if it will consume the algae faster than the agae can reproduce.

I had it a long while back and ended up manually removing it all.

Hey Stun,
That's a bummer. Is it also true that valonia can survive too in a uln? I really thought after seeing some of these low nutrient tanks that the algaes can't live, but it turns out there's no easy fix. Everybody's still scraping and cleaning algae, eh?.

I've got a couple of tuxedo urchins in there now, but like you say, they're not keeping up with it. The 3 Mexican Turbos were denting it too, but one kicked the bucket and the other two are still trying.

How did you remove it? I'm thinking to remove mine, I'd have to take out each rock and scrub it with a hard brush. Is that how you did it?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back