How can I get my temp down without buying a chiller?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In summer our house temp is 77-80. The 10 gallon aquarium is 80-81. I wouldn't really worry about it more unless the AC froze up or something.

Do you have an extra mini fridge? Maybe Craigslist. From there here is another option. You wouldn't "buy" it but build it :D

Gotta love it :)

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300 gallon with skimmer, return pump, LED lights and powerheads. I have a controller. It is hooked up to a heater and a couple of clip on fans in the sump. The heater goes off at 77.7 and the fans turn on a 78.1. The temperature swings between 77.5 at a min and 78.8 at a max. The house can get to 68 in the winter and 78 in the summer.

I dive in the Caribbean. I rarely see lower than 78 degree water and highs of about 84. Corals seem to do fine from 70 to about 84. At some point over 84, coral bleaching occurs. In the FL keys water gets below 70 but since my wife does not like water below 68, I have little experience at the low end.

Thoms_here

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In summer our house temp is 77-80. The 10 gallon aquarium is 80-81. I wouldn't really worry about it more unless the AC froze up or something.

Do you have an extra mini fridge? Maybe Craigslist. From there here is another option. You wouldn't "buy" it but build it :D

I would ONLY use certified drinking water hose for that application (like whats used in RV's etc.) I would NEVER use a garden hose for saltwater. Just my 2 cents. :)

Benders Bay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A friend of mine did similar.Coiled hose in an AC duct

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chiller heats and chills too. It's my "insurance policy" and my Apex controller backs it up too.

This past summer my AC went down in the morning. I headed to work and my wife called the AC service. They finally fixed it at about 6pm that night. By that afternoon it was 96 degrees inside the town home.

Welp, That chiller (Insurance Policy) paid for itself in one day. :)
We could have lost our five year old reef that fast.

It happened to us in 2007 while on vacation. Came back home and :(
I said never again.

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, remove the glass tops and use a screen top instead. You wont have any issue. I wouldn't recommend using glass tops anyway, limits gas exchange too much and suppresses your ph.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Chiefmaster30 ,

as has been said, here, ditch the glass tops. they will trap the heat in. you want your tank to evaporate for cooling. I live not far from you. My house has been cooler though staying around 71 lately with the heat at 68. my tank has been sitting right at the set point on my controller for the heater. in fact, even keeping the house at 75 degrees causes my heaters to come on in the summer. My tank is open top with a Large LED array above.

Evaporation is your friend. ditch the glass top and make a screen if you are concerned about fish jumps.

Back