OP
OP
Hella_Reef

Hella_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used a Calcium Reactor or dosed. I've maintained my tank over the years by using Kalk in my ATO. I might have to start dosing soon as I add more coral. I have no room for a Calcium Reactor so dosing on an Auto doser will be my way of being a Baller and making my girlies Holla.
Thanks for the reply, I don't feel like I will go the kalk route though. Calcium reactor just seems so intrigueing to me, kind of figure out where the bubbles pace need to be and set it and let it be. Until it can't keep up with growth and added corals then simply tune it in again.

OP
OP
Hella_Reef

Hella_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank is still too new to need dosing. Weekly water changes keep my params stable ATM. However, I've got the calcium reactor already and it's ready to go as soon as my corals get to a point where dosing is necessary.
Gotcha, I'm in the same boat. Have the 30 cube just going off of Red Sea salt water changes, and a 76 gallon oceanic half circle in the cycling process rite now. Once the 76 is stocked up I think I'm gunna choose the reactor over dosing. I just want to get input on both and know what I truly want once the day comes.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me dosing pumps are superior. But there is a lot of crap on the market. Just check that it has the same type of pump unit as the classical German ones. (Giesemann, IKS, Fauna Marin, Grotec and other to be safe. And it must have Santoprene or novopren tubing in the pump.
The great advantage with dosing pumps is that they are simple to adjust. And You can have Magnesium separately in another pump unit. Or Carbon Source like NO3PO4ex.
Or mineral salt like in the Balling method to keep Your values with minimal changes.
One problem with Calcium reactors with new tanks is that in the beginning of a new tank it will consume a lot of magnesium. Its only to add some magnesium media in the reactor but after a while the consumption will be lower and the magnesium value will rise. And You will have to make that a few times as the tank will ripe.
A Calcium reactor will lower pH and to compensate this it is common to use a Kalk mixer. But they are notorius of getting clogged.

Back