How do i get rid of diatoms ?

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano tank thats been set up for about 3 months now and whenever i turn on my light for a day my rock and sand just get covered in diatoms. I have live rock but not live sand so i dont know if this is a problem. I currently only have a clownfish in the tank and water parameters are all god. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 ph 8.4 sg 1.024

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean up crew time, how many gallons is the nano? get u a blue legged hermit crab or two and let em start munching down

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 10 gallon tank. I had a camel shrimp in there and my clown killed him so idk if i should get any shrimp now. But i will get some crabs. Im thinking about snails and an emerald crab

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah something with a natural defence against a nipper would be your best bet. they will munch down all your "unwantables"

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post s pic of the algae. Diatoms feed on Silica usually once the the food source is gone after the initial set-up the diatoms should stay gone. Unless you are stirring up the sand bed. How often do you feed?

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1409170167.338697.jpg

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems like kind of a long time to see so many diatoms - how often do you do water changes? it looks like it could be excess nutrients - what do you use to export? I would agree in that you could definitely benefit from upping your CUC.

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely diatoms. Get a cuc. Couple snails and a couple of hermit crabs. No shrimp yet. Are you using r/o with salt mix for your wc's or ocean water?

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is almost 3 months old too in two days. Mine occurred mostly on the glass so I did removed them manually by scrubbing it by a sponge and also bought Nerite snails from Reefcleaners. I am in San Diego too

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is almost 3 months old too in two days. Mine occurred mostly on the glass so I did removed them manually by scrubbing it by a sponge and also bought Nerite snails from Reefcleaners. I am in San Diego too

How often do you change your water and filter media. Sounds like you have a phosphate problem. You could be charging your poly fill or cleaning the sponge every week. What is your livestock list?

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that you bump up your wc's to every week. Believe me you will see a huge difference in tank. Nano tanks generally don't have enough filtration to keep up with the bioload we subject our tanks too. Having the lights on for a total of 9 hours max meaning from the beginning of your light cycle to the end. Some people will even argue that 9 is to long. However I found with a weekly water change having my lights on for 9 doesn't make a big difference

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may also need more then a couple snails in your cuc for a 29g

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water changes once a month 25% of it and i use regular drinking water with instant ocean salt mix. I dont have live sand. Just regular dry sand and thats about it. Do you guys think a bag of chemipure will help ?

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that you bump up your wc's to every week. Believe me you will see a huge difference in tank. Nano tanks generally don't have enough filtration to keep up with the bioload we subject our tanks too. Having the lights on for a total of 9 hours max meaning from the beginning of your light cycle to the end. Some people will even argue that 9 is to long. However I found with a weekly water change having my lights on for 9 doesn't make a big difference
Agree on weekly water change

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water changes once a month 25% of it and i use regular drinking water with instant ocean salt mix. I dont have live sand. Just regular dry sand and thats about it. Do you guys think a bag of chemipure will help ?

Chemipure elite. Nothing is going to help if you are using tap water. And definitely not once a month. Try this for a month and answer back to this thread. Clean or replace your first line on filter media. And a half unit chemipure elite pre rinsed with r/o water. Do a 15% wc weekly. I don't know how your nitrate and phosphate reading isn't sky high with a monthly wc

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back