How do i get rid of diatoms ?

vinci666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diatoms

If your using regular drinking water for your water change then that's your problem. That is usually loaded with nitrates and phosphates and other elements. If your water changes are small buy distilled water and bring the water up to the correct properties such as ph. They also sell a filter that produces water similar to ro it's inexpensive. The name escapes me right now. Again if your tank is small u must do weekly water changes or at least biweekly with correct water

vinci666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diatoms

If you're using regular drinking water for your water change then that's your problem. That is usually loaded with nitrates and phosphates and other elements. If your water changes are small buy distilled water and bring the water up to the correct properties such as ph. They also sell a filter that produces water similar to ro it's inexpensive. The name escapes me right now. Again if your tank is small u must do weekly water changes or at least biweekly with correct water

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms are a natural part of your rock curing. If you still have them after a few weeks then there may be a problem, otherwise let it be.

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! My kegs have been empty for a few months sadly. Need to look into get a few more brew kits because I hate having a full CO2 tank, and empty kegs...

You should also look into getting a TDS meter that way you can check it yourself. Literally takes two seconds after putting the meter in your water.

I need salt mix anyway and my lfs test their water in front of the customer every time to show you a zero reading. So I'm not going to spend the money. You know what I mean. They have one and I'm there at least once a week

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be hard pressed to believe it has di on any water filter for human consumption, there is no logical reason for the extra expense or maintenance. I know someone with a couple of water dispensers here and at most he runs reverse osmosis. with that said I thought I read a while back it was good to drink di water. ill have to look that up again. I know RODI units can be had for next to nothing if your diligent on your local searches, or you can go a little more inexpensive for the time being and just get an RO system and buy a DI add on canister when budget allows. atleast its a start without "throwing away" money that you will never get back. atleast with a system you own there is a ROI, also the time, energy and fuel running to the store. just my .02

Last edited:

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't ordered snails, don't get nerites if you have a rimless tank. EVERY single on of mine in my 93g ended up dead behind my stand. My new tank is 3mo old as well and I cannot get rid of the diatoms on my rocks. Snails haven't helped it on the rocks, I use RODI too. I feel your pain.

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be hard pressed to believe it has di on any water filter for human consumption, there is no logical reason for the extra expense or maintenance. I know someone with a couple of water dispensers here and at most he runs reverse osmosis. with that said I thought I read a while back it was good to drink di water.
its certainly not bad for you, and as for the store bought water system ill take a pic next time im there and show what they show, from what i can remember its a four stage system with a uv sterilizer, possibly a watts if i remember correctly, all i know for sure is its the cleanest water i can get around here tds wise for the cheapest price

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got diatom with my 100 gal tank i got rid of it by limiting my day lights to 6hrs and 1 hr artics so at noon tank lights on by 7pm all lights off.Its hard to keep off but for new tanks it has to be done.I also was told by my aquarium guy to leave the lights off for 2 days it worked good.

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its certainly not bad for you, and as for the store bought water system ill take a pic next time im there and show what they show, from what i can remember its a four stage system with a uv sterilizer, possibly a watts if i remember correctly, all i know for sure is its the cleanest water i can get around here tds wise for the cheapest price

However if you are drinking ro/di water you should be taking a multivitamin

gotsomerice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing man. Ill see how things go i guess ill just do water changes once a week now and get a CUC now. But i dont have an RODI Unit and i dont want to keep buying RO water from my LFS so where should i get my water from ?

Go to Script Pier for free ocean water. You don't need to buy the RO machine. Better than any synthetic salts on the market.

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats weird i didnt know i could just put ocean water in my tank ? Are you sure this is safe. I mean it makes sense but in a way i feel like it might be dirty or something like that. Tank is actually looking pretty good. Water is crystal clear. Im about to do another WC tomorrow i think. I bought some Fluval activated carbon and put it in my tank and it really made my water super clear. The diatoms are actually dying off on the rock. I can see that there are patches of white on it. Before it was just all brown. However. They are still on my sand. I havent bought my CUC yet. I just dont have time to go to the LFS. I can watch the tank and do water changes and feed the fish. But its hard to go to the store since its 20 minutes away from home. I am susper busy with school. I got classes in the morning afternoon and night. Good thing i have fridays off tho. So ill be going and getting a CUC tomorrow for sures.

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats weird i didnt know i could just put ocean water in my tank ? Are you sure this is safe. I mean it makes sense but in a way i feel like it might be dirty or something like that. Tank is actually looking pretty good. Water is crystal clear. Im about to do another WC tomorrow i think. I bought some Fluval activated carbon and put it in my tank and it really made my water super clear. The diatoms are actually dying off on the rock. I can see that there are patches of white on it. Before it was just all brown. However. They are still on my sand. I havent bought my CUC yet. I just dont have time to go to the LFS. I can watch the tank and do water changes and feed the fish. But its hard to go to the store since its 20 minutes away from home. I am susper busy with school. I got classes in the morning afternoon and night. Good thing i have fridays off tho. So ill be going and getting a CUC tomorrow for sures.
yes i have herd of people cycling water from a lagoon thru their home tanks and right back out the other side, (now HE found a way to never do water changes lol)

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not suggest every getting water for your aquarium that close to shore. Maybe a few miles out and then ran through a uv sterilizer. I know my lfs gets water from the inlet in the middle of the incoming tide. Then it goes through a filtering process. If you wanna know what you are putting in your tank keep mixing with ro/di. There are flesh eating bacteria along the east coast shorelines right now. Do you want some if that? I don't think so.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to Script Pier for free ocean water. You don't need to buy the RO machine. Better than any synthetic salts on the market.
Script Pier? I will have to check it out. Always wanted to try it out. But are there any beach police? It will be a shame getting trouble for getting ocean water :squigglemouth:

sladeclan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am having the same problem. My family got me my 75 gal tank for Mothers day. Best gift ever. I am loving every minute of it. I am learning as I go. I will try to give you a quick rundown of what I have. My PH is at 8.2, Ammonia and Nitrite is 0, Salinity is at 1.025. I am still working on the Nitrate. It seems to be staying at 10. I am using a Fluval 306 pump and a Coralife Turbo-twist uv for my skimmer. All my fish seem to be happy. I have a Carpet Anemone and two long tentacle anemones, a humbug damsel, velvatine damsel, Cardinal, Maroon clown fish, and a yellow tail damsel. My cleaning crew includes: 1 turbo snail, 1 nerites snail, 1 cleaner shrimp, 3 red legged crabs, 2 blue leg crabs and 2 nassarius snails. I feed them once a night one cube of bloodworms or brine shrimp. I give my anenomies some zoo plankton twice a week and either a silver slider or krill every saturday. I do a weekly water change about 20% I usually do not clean off the back of the tank. I am attaching some pictures to show you how my tank looks. If you need more information please let me know.
IMG_1109.jpg
IMG_1110.jpg
IMG_1111.jpg

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need more members in your clean up crew. Your cuc right now is what most people have in a 10 gallon nano

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back