How do i get rid of diatoms ?

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not suggest every getting water for your aquarium that close to shore. Maybe a few miles out and then ran through a uv sterilizer. I know my lfs gets water from the inlet in the middle of the incoming tide. Then it goes through a filtering process. If you wanna know what you are putting in your tank keep mixing with ro/di. There are flesh eating bacteria along the east coast shorelines right now. Do you want some if that? I don't think so.
your very right, there are a few very scary things you can get into your tank, and youd probably regret it

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the clown everyday twice a day. Not so much just a few pellets thats about it

With only a clownfish, you can definitely space out those feedings by a day...or even up to once a week or so. Generally true for low-activity carnivores.

I'd recommend weekly water changes too. Clean your filters at least this often.

Last, see if a local fish store sells premixed saltwater and use that until you get a water purifier.

-Matt

sladeclan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. I have also had a little problem getting my Nitrate to 0. Will the cuc help with this also?

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yuup. Ive slowed the feeding down to every other day. Clown is looking good and i have my CUC now. Ive added some filter pads to my filter and everything is looking good now. The diatoms are starting to die off

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea of feeding fish once a week drives me crazy, there's other ways to control nutrients IMO.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My post was in response to someone else's, just my opinion though, so yeah

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. I have also had a little problem getting my Nitrate to 0. Will the cuc help with this also?

Cut your feeding back to every other day. But you definitely need to do something about that clean up crew. I would suggest going on the Dr fosters website and looking for the best cuc package for your size tank. I not saying you have to get it from them but at least you will have a better idea of what a crew will look like.

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I always go on liveaquaria to read about fish and stuff like that before i make a purchase at my LFS. Online has much better things but 50$ just for shipping is ridiculous

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is. And I think you may be right about liveaquaria.com I think that's where I saw the cuc packages

Last edited:
OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Drs. Foster And Smith is like for all pets. Dry goods and stuff like that. Liveaquaria.com is just live fish and fish goods. They have good info on any fish, inverts and corals. I always use it as a resource :)

Lucky1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water stations near me "say" they have 5-7 filters on them, I haven't looked it up and verified though. In fact they show they use the same filters that I have in my RO/DI unit. I think I may have spent $1.50 on 10 gallons of water. Tasted super clean, and the beer it made was fantastic lol.

Wolfenstein do you add anything to your water at all after running it threw your RO/DI before using it in your tank?? I'm thinking about buying the filtration system for myself. It would save a decent amount of money. Let me know.
Lucky

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea of feeding fish once a week drives me crazy, there's other ways to control nutrients IMO.

Depends completely on the fish whether it's appropriate (e.g. Clowns: Yes. Tangs: No.)....and this is how to control nutrients at the root vs being reactive and treating after the fact. :)

Feeding smaller daily portions is another way to the same goal, but is usually more difficult depending on the food being fed and other factors.

-Matt

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Once a week is cruel and i think it also makes fish more agressive

Can't generically say that at all....for many fish it's cruel to overfeed the way we commonly do.

Weekly feedings (even less for some fish) are not appropriate for all fish though....Tangs, for example, require continuous feeding as they do not have a gut which stores food like other fish do, and are very high-energy fish. Fish which fit the opposite profile will tend to do better with less frequent feedings (like they would have in nature). We're not talking about a rule of thumb to be applied across the board to all fish. More like a trick to keep in mind that one group of animals likes or will benefit from....such as feeding noori to Tangs.

-Matt

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed every other day. Not once a week so yeah. NLS Pellets and Mysis shrimp

Sounds like things are alrady trending in the right direction, but if you want an additional measure to consider, maybe stop using frozen for a while? It tends to be messier with less actually being consumed by your target organism than pellets. There's (obviously) nothing wrong with combining foods, but NLS pellets alone are sufficient and easier to feed and control portions.

Hopefully things are good now and you won't need any other adjustments! :)

-Matt

wolfenstein87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky,

The water that comes out of my RODI goes into a storage bucket and is used as top off water, or goes into another container for water supplies. Other than salt, nothing else is added to my water.

Edit:

I do make sure to have a heater and pump/power head in the storage tank in order to keep it at the right temp and circulating.

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky,

The water that comes out of my RODI goes into a storage bucket and is used as top off water, or goes into another container for water supplies. Other than salt, nothing else is added to my water.

Edit:

I do make sure to have a heater and pump/power head in the storage tank in order to keep it at the right temp and circulating.

If your RODI tank is indoors (not subject to cold weather) then heating isn't really necessary. Circulating RODI doesn't do much either...so if you had another use for the pump or heater... :) The one thing to make sure of is to keep that water pure: make sure the container is sealed reasonably well. RODI can/will dissolve air-pollutants, dust, etc.

-Matt

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt is right. Though you'll want that pump and heater ready when mixing the salt in and matching your water to the dt temp.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt is right. Though you'll want that pump and heater ready when mixing the salt in and matching your water to the dt temp.

Noooo! The pump is fine if that's what you use for mixing, but you don't really want to heat your mix water...only preheat the RODI as-needed. Heating the mix water causes local precipitation of calcium carbonate.

I've never had a problem - or even heard of a problem - with using room-temp water in a water change. FWIW.

-Matt

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back