OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412226143.022917.jpg
i added a piece of "Life Rock" from caribsea and some shells for the hermits. I also have a bag of carbon in the over flow chamber and two filter pads from marineland. My water is crystal clear. The diatoms died out but theres still some on the sand because i haven't siphoned all of them out

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412226332.493776.jpg
This is the "Life Rock" i saw it a while ago on BRSTV and when i visited my LFS last week they had some pieces and i picked one up. It looks pretty nice

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you got quite a bit. I would say try keeping the lights on a bit less. It should work. Then try sucking it all up when you do your water changes :)

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be patient and the diatoms will go away on their own. It is just a fact of life and we all will go through it. Once the system ages a bit, the diatoms will naturally subside.

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its actually pretty cool to think about when you look at them and cyano, it may look unhealthy but most forget that these are some of the first lifeforms to show on our planet during its "first cycle" , and we have alot to thank them for, cyano for instance created the air we needed to start this planet. and diatom art is amazing, look it up

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G looking good. Im glad you won the battle. Keep up the weekly water changes and get that fish a nem

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bro :) glad diatoms are gone. And yeah i need to get him a nem :/ i dont know what to get him though? I was thinking a small carpet maybe later on

liquidg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don t see a problem with diatoms, they are very natural for marine systems and as time goes on they loose ground to other life forms.
I must admit I have not used a substrate in over 30 years bar six months on my wife’s whim in 2001, the sand and water changes allow these little guys basic silicon husks to be in view, silica and nutrients and you have the golden brown discarded husks .

Due to no more water changes needed any more, I have had very little of these guys for a some years.
That being said, cyano and diatoms are essential to the marine eco systems.

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bro :) glad diatoms are gone. And yeah i need to get him a nem :/ i dont know what to get him though? I was thinking a small carpet maybe later on

Bta. Something for him to look at. Poor guy is lonely

Last edited:

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not 100% sure on this maybe someone else will chime in but I think if you get another clown it should be digger than the one you have now. And another clown will probably put your tank to fully stocked. I would think about maybe getting two small gobbies like a green and a yellow clown gobbie

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair's are nice just, well you know it should've been done at the same time. Right now the clown you have owns the tank. If you are set on it though when you introduce the clown change the scape just a little bit. That should trick the fish you have now into thinking he's in a new place

liquidg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During my time as a commercial collector we would on many occasions ad a small clown with a larger one and sell as a pair. Under 15 to 20 mill any clown species can take on any sex to suit who’s there to make a pair.

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats what i was thinking about if i do add a new clown. I want to get more rock and change the scape a bit so the other clown can hid if he has to lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back