how do you get such clear pics?

LitlBailey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was just wondering how everyone gets such clear and closeup pics of their corals? Are you guys using high dollar cameras? Or is everyone here a professional photographer?

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all starts with a decent camera and more importantly knowing how to use the camera. Myself, I use a Canon Xti with a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens

OP
OP
L

LitlBailey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a very informative thread, unfortunately most of it is greek to me. Are these digital cameras that you are using, or are most people going old school and using film?

OP
OP
L

LitlBailey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, just saw the JPEG part of the thread, so that question is answered.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read all the stickies, then work within the limits of your camera. If your particular camera can focus to a distance of one foot, then don't try and take pictures from 6" away. Remember a good IN FOCUS picture that is a little farther away, beats a closer photo that is out of focus.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent a full day with Anthony Calfo visiting my club members tanks and several LFS in the Phoenix area a while back. One thing he showed me is to keep the camera steady. He used a small mono pod and a small tripod which he attached to the camera and swiveled around so it held the camera a set distance from the glass and was rock steady. That and long exposures produced stellar pictures even with a middle of the road camera like my Canon SD630.

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say practice and ofcourse a nice DSLR with macro lens

Rukis

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the beginner... I've found that if you turn off the flow the camera will be able to auto focus better and get a clearer pic. Try shooting corals close to the glass, not far back in the tank, move the coral right up on the glass for the pic. Hope this helps the noobs with point and shoots.

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a camera with 50x optical zoom helps and turning off all your pumps to take top down shots. "Elementary my dear Watson." ;p

Aynesa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of megapixels, and many, many hours just experimenting with the same piece in front of the tank. I'm trying to get my hands on a macro lens, too.. Right now I use a standard 18-55 lens and I still get decent shots, just not the amazing dramatic shots I'm jealous of. :)

firsttime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A decent camera with a macro mode should do the initial trick for you...if your interest grows then you can get into digital SLR's

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, sometimes it feels like everyone here IS a pro photog..

check out Poseidon's photo link...

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Canon powershot A630 nothing special lol but I use a underwater case so I think that is the biggy plus it has a good macro mode.

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a Nikon D40, with a tripod when possible so i can slow the shutter speed down and lots of patience, especially when shooting fish

Gimili the Great

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very expensive cameras LOL

that doesnt make up for skill, no matter how much you spend on a camera if you dont know how to use it it is just a really expensive poor picture producer

proper practice makes perfect . . .

the old adage is way wrong practice makes perfect, because you can practice something wrongly and do it over and over again and at the end of the day you have learned nothing and are in worse shape then you were when you started the day

Last edited:

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that doesnt make up for skill, no matter how much you spend on a camera if you dont know how to use it it is just a really expensive poor picture producer

proper practice makes perfect . . .

the old adage is way wrong practice makes perfect, because you can practice something wrongly and do it over and over again and at the end of the day you have learned nothing and are in worse shape then you were when you started the day

amen!, i have a coach myself (my dad has been taking great pictures for over 20 years)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back