How do you handle a bully in the tank?

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh I stand corrected, I thought PBT referred to Powder Brown Tang.
Unfortunately powder blue tangs are unlikely to forget the personal vendetta id it lasts more than a week. A lot of damage can be done in a week, however. I consider the PBT the most aggressive tang by a large margin. Not because they do the most damage but because of how relentless they are and how frequently they behave that way. I have personally removed PBT for badgering fish many times over the years, for up to one month, to add the fish back for it to immediately resume bullying. They really don't forget, and unfortunately smaller quarters exacerbate this. PBT in the wild defend their algae to the death and are accustomed to doing so because otherwise they can and will starve.

You are free to try anything, but my bet is that things work out in a week or two or that they never will. Here's an article on tang aggression I wrote if you're interested:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.76/

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh I stand corrected, I thought PBT referred to Powder Brown Tang.
It's both, although more commonly used for powder blue. Powder brown are only slightly less aggressive, they're still up there, just not quite as determined.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess mine just had better parents :p:D

Lol mine have typically been passive-- but only because I keep them with powder blue, sohal, and Caribbean blue tangs, all of which I consider more aggressive. It even tames my zebrasoma (including the nastiest purple and giant sailfins)

Back