How do you hang 'YOUR' lights? Looking for ideas!!

fisharefriends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1394743376587.jpg
this cost me about ten bucks...

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 100G has a full canopy but I wanted some flexibility when mounting my AI Sol Blues so I used T Track strips so the fixtures cen be moved side to side and front to back for best coverage. I also mounted them exactly 12" above the waterline as it seemed their leg kits were too close to the water and would have required more fixtures to get the same coverage.
I detailed it all here:
My AI Sol Super Blue Installation

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1394743376587.jpg
this cost me about ten bucks...

This is what I had in mind, somewhat. I was going to use conduit and do the same bend as you - but have a second bend turning horizontally toward each other, meeting together in the middle and use a coupler to hold them in place evenly.

I went to Lowes and this stuff is way cheaper than I thought.
10 foot conduit is 6 bucks, the clamps are a buck each and the spray paint isn't too bad either. If I get a wide enough pipe I can hide the cords instead of using ties for a cleaner look. They also said they would bend it for me.

Got my email from reef radiance with my tracking number - now I'm just waiting to get these bad boys and start on my project!

Nicely done, I like the idea :)

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to the studs in the celling and the $36 was for everything screws, nus, washers, pulleys, and o rings.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395001559.905267.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395001581.906378.jpg

The 1 foot rails on the end are for addition LEDs that I'm adding to the fixture.

caseytatum44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm just starting out my tank but here's what I came up with. I also bought a DME155. I tried finding a mount but didn't want anything with cables hanging. I found this mount for AV equipment and added some brackets to the DME so that I could mount it. Heres the link for the mount: Amazon.com : Peerless Adjustable Component Shelf for AV EQ : Audio Video Component Shelves : Electronics

fish6.jpg
fish7.JPG

Great idea! I have a HOB aquafuge that's about 4 inches deep (tank to wall) and a couple of inches high because of the light on it. AWESOME refugium for me, considering my crazy setup but it hinders a lot. I like this idea though, very creative I may check this out for myself as well.

YodaHart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I did it on my new build:

I used lag hooks to hang my previous setup
zupyvata.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to hang them from my ceiling. I am going to run to home depot in a few and check out their tracks vs a round individual hanger. I think a track would offer more movement and versatility especially if I can get the lighting.

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to hang them from my ceiling. I am going to run to home depot in a few and check out their tracks vs a round individual hanger. I think a track would offer more movement and versatility especially if I can get the lighting.

Let me know and I'll shot photos of the parts I used.

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we tried to drill holes in the ceiling tonight and apparently we can't get further than an Inch because there's some kind of metal there... tried moving over, same thing. Entire ceiling has some sort of metal plate in it?!

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's above you?? Are you in a house, apartment, ect
Change to a metal bit and pace a metal anchor bolt.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's above you?? Are you in a house, apartment, ect
Change to a metal bit and pace a metal anchor bolt.

My guess is that they are in a commercial building with reinforced concrete floors and ceilings. These are typically covered with sheetrock with a small gap....up to an inch. Hopefully they can get a toggle (molly) bolt to hold the fixture. I personnally would not drill into the concrete.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • None.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back