How long to wait to add fish after adding CUC

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I wait before adding fish after CUC is added to tank?? I just want to not have the chance to have ICH or any other disease. Thanks

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your tank is fully cycled, you can begin adding fish. But go slowly and don't try to add too many at once.

However, I'm afraid time-frame has nothing to do with the introduction of disease, be it ich or any other. Setting up a QT system will go great distances in helping with that. Take a look at the thread below for further explanation.

This is of course only my opinion and others will vary.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was meaning for the risk of the CUC infecting the new fish. I have some fish that have been in QT for few months. They went through TTM, and prazipro. They are very healthy and ready to go into tank.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your tank is fully cycled, you can begin adding fish. But go slowly and don't try to add too many at once.

However, I'm afraid time-frame has nothing to do with the introduction of disease, be it ich or any other. Setting up a QT system will go great distances in helping with that. Take a look at the thread below for further explanation.

This is of course only my opinion and others will vary.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/
X2 -- NOTHING good happens quickly in this hobby! :)

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that the majority of reefers do not quarantine their fish. From my reading and talking to other reefers, skipping fish quarantine is eventually going to cause problems.

Relatively few reefers quarantine their clean up crew. It is conceivable that a parasite in its dormant phase could piggyback on the clean up crew. But I have never heard of a well documented case of it happening.

I guess one could make a qt for clean up crew easily. Get a 5 or 10 gallon tank. Stick in some rock and sand. Put on a little hang on filter for flow. Get a couple of cheap led lights and add some nutrients. You want a pile of algae. In a system like this, you could run a small clean up crew for about 12 weeks before putting them in your display tank.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has CUC in it now, and they have wiped out what algae I had. I am feeding heavily, and supplementing nori right now. I have been working on this tank for a very long time. All rock have been in bins for 6 or more months before starting the tank up. The sump has had a starfish and a few hermits the whole time also. I also added some live rock at the start of this tank to give it a boost, and added DR tims. I am just worried that some of the CUC could have brought something into the tank is why I ask. I plan to QT all fish with TTM and prazipro or whatever else I need to do. I lost all of my fish from my last tank from something I am thinking may have been velvet, but I am not sure. From the signs and with them all gone in less than 5 days I am still at a loss.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back