How long with cupramine

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can i keep angels and tangs in a display with cupramine before having any negative effects on the fish?

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never use copper in the display. It will haunt you for ever.

How will it haunt me if I remove the cupramine until the test reads zero?
Also just talked to Sea Chem and they said 3-4 weeks and then remove and re treat if there's any problem

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have experience with this happening with cupramine?

Yes. Quite a bit actually. Live rock and even sand will absorb the copper and leach it back out at random times. It seems like it might be possible to -eventually- get all the copper out of the rock and sand, but it would take a quite a while to do and then it's not going to be something I would comfortable trusting with my corals. Even if you didn't care about the liverock, it's still not a good idea to treat sick fish in the presence of it because of the absorption and leaching- this will cause the level of copper to rise and fall randomly making it either below therapeutic levels (meaning you have to add more and start your treatment clock over) or raising up above what is safe for the fish possibly causing more harm than good to the fish. I hope that helps

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've removed cupramine and coppersafe from display tanks 5 or 6 times without issue. I've even kept corals within 30 days after beginning to remove it. Nearly 100% water changes (two), and lots of phosban and cuprisorb work wonders. Replace all of this media 3 times minimum and let the last set remain.

A quarantine is a far better choice so you don't kill off what's live in your rock (I removed most of it and my inverts and kept it all in a Rubbermaid bin with heater and light and powerheads).

It's definitely a pain in the rear end but I assure you it can be done. A quarantine or hospital tank is a FAR better and easier choice, however.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I removed most of it and my inverts and kept it all in a Rubbermaid bin with heater and light and powerheads).

See, but it worked for you because you removed the vast majority of the liverock and critters. You had minimal interference with the copper levels and therefore minimal rock that needed the copper removed from it. If you go through all that trouble, (as you pointed out) it's better to just put them in a QT unless you have no other options.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, but it worked for you because you removed the vast majority of the liverock and critters. You had minimal interference with the copper levels and therefore minimal rock that needed the copper removed from it. If you go through all that trouble, (as you pointed out) it's better to just put them in a QT unless you have no other options.
Yes I removed all but probably 30-40lbs of rock (I had 175-190).

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had an aiptasia and ich outbreak so the cupramine is killing both. And serving as a qt in my 300 gal which with the amount of fish I would need another 300 gal Qt. I have no problem not putting corals back but I will try at some point. I have a full reef with no fish so if this tank becomes FOWLR that would be fine. Thanks for all the input

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have removed the cupramine and will now treat with prazi pro and when the next shipment of angels and some smaller fish come in I will dose cupramine again but this time I want to dose prazi pro at the same time. Any reason not to?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have removed the cupramine and will now treat with prazi pro and when the next shipment of angels and some smaller fish come in I will dose cupramine again but this time I want to dose prazi pro at the same time. Any reason not to?

It's not recommended because the combination can cause a bacterial bloom that sucks the oxygen out of the water. That can cause deaths if you're not prepared for it. I wouldn't do it unless you have to. I certainly wouldn't dose them on the same day.

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not recommended because the combination can cause a bacterial bloom that sucks the oxygen out of the water. That can cause deaths if you're not prepared for it. I wouldn't do it unless you have to. I certainly wouldn't dose them on the same day.

Ok I appreciate the advise

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back