Votes: 27 7.6%

• Total voters

Junkie

Addicted since 05'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 24 fish in a 54g that's .44 fish per gallon. My maintenance, though is more than what most people will do as I change 15g 3x's a week. PO4+0, NO3+<1ppm.
Halichoeres richmondi, H. leucurus, H. argus, H. marginatus, H. papilionaceous x2, H. biocellatus, H. melanurus, H. chrysotaenia, Cirrhilabrus cf. lanceolatus, C. lunatus, Leptojulis cyanopleura, Xenojulis margaritacacea, Macropharyngodon negrosensis, Paracheilinus flavianalis, P. mckosker, P. lineopunctatus, Pink bar goby x2, ocellaris x2, Royal Gramma, Firefish.

It is an SPS dominant tank, and I plan on adding even more fish in the future.

I would love to see pics or video of your tank where might I find them eatbreakfast sorry for the off topic.

Junkie

Addicted since 05'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just curious how heavily stocked everyone's tank is. Please base your gallons on the display gallons ONLY and not full system gallon. Thanks!

This will require some math....fish/gallons. The result will most likely not be a whole number unless your tank is very heavily stocked...

While I understand that inches of fish per gallon might be a better determinate in "tank overcrowding" I feel that typically most people's fish end up averaging out to similar lengths. I did not use this metric because I'm also curious how many different "personalities" people are able to keep in a single aquarium.

I'm working on this theory that fish and their moment around corals is critical in how SPS and other corals feed and remove waste. In our home systems powerheads play this role (flow) but I'm trying to figure out how large of a role fish play in the equation. If you watch the above video fish are totally packed around some of the SPS corals. The movement of the fish is creating "flow" for the corals(allowing them to feed/expel waste).

To add to that, the fish would be practically pooping right into the coral
, providing nutrients directly to the corals.

I know this is an older thread but didn't see your findings from the answers. In my opinion fish swimming within the colonies would have little impact on flow within the colony structure in comparison to the effect that wave action and currents have on coral colonies. Also about fish poop, sps generally have poor prey capturing abilities and fish poop is typically too large for sps to make use of. Although, fish urine could have the most impact on coral in my thinking. Marine fish don't urinate in large quantities but it is highly concentrated and contains amino acids which has been found to be beneficial to corals, hence why some dose it into their tanks. In my opinion the way fish swimming within the colony is beneficial to coral lies in the amino acids in the fish urine. But I don't think that this process is possible to replicate in the average home aquarium using fish, simply because the bio load would have to be extremely high and utilize many small fish capable of getting right up on corals peeing on them to be beneficial enough to employ. Just my thinking on the matter. :)

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread but didn't see your findings from the answers. In my opinion fish swimming within the colonies would have little impact on flow within the colony structure in comparison to the effect that wave action and currents have on coral colonies. Also about fish poop, sps generally have poor prey capturing abilities and fish poop is typically too large for sps to make use of. Although, fish urine could have the most impact on coral in my thinking. Marine fish don't urinate in large quantities but it is highly concentrated and contains amino acids which has been found to be beneficial to corals, hence why some dose it into their tanks. In my opinion the way fish swimming within the colony is beneficial to coral lies in the amino acids in the fish urine. But I don't think that this process is possible to replicate in the average home aquarium using fish, simply because the bio load would have to be extremely high and utilize many small fish capable of getting right up on corals peeing on them to be beneficial enough to employ. Just my thinking on the matter. :)

I don't think I will have any finding from this thread, since it is unscientific in nature. But it is interesting to hear experience and opinions on the matter. Fish poop is consistently cited as the best way to feed SPS corals by hobbyists, rather than attempting to feed directly with specialty products. Furthermore, SPS have been shown to capture much larger food particles than previously thought possible. There is even a thread on RC that test SPS polyp reaction of many times of food, it's a really interesting read and might change your opinion on what sizes of food SPS will consume.

Perhaps the flow from the fish is negligible, but if there is an entire school of fish hovering over a SPS colony, I would think that has some impact.

Junkie

Addicted since 05'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like an interesting test. I'll have to do some searching so see what the findings were! Thanks for the response.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like an interesting test. I'll have to do some searching so see what the findings were! Thanks for the response.

Thanks for reviving this old thread, good to see that people are still interested in the concept! There is still so much we don't know about the corals in our aquarium, although it seems that just in recent years we're seeing a lot of new studies being done about the feeding and spawning habits of SPS corals.

Last edited:

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 in a 40 so .05, they are clowns in a reef so not much bioload.

Also have 5 in a 125 so .04, but they are all large messy predators. I consider the bioload there almost maxed out.

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 fish in a 40B: 2 clowns 1 blue green reef chromis 1 starry blenny

Bowen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four fish in a 55g: two black clowns (female is at most 2.5", male is <2"), one tribal blenny (3.5"), and one tomini tang who is the same size as when I frist saw it early this summer (maybe 2.25", a little bit shorter than the female clown). I am thinking of adding at least one more fish, something that spends its time swimming around in the open but isn't excessively known as a jumper.

Fathead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 125 i have
1 diamond goby, 2 clowns, 1 naso tang,1 hippo tang, 1 blue throat trigger, 1 mystery wrasse, 1 sixline, red head solana wrasse, 1dottyback

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is roughly 105 gallons after rock displacement + sump. SPS dominant

1 starcki damsel (Chrysiptera starcki)
1 Giant Gold Damsel (Ambliglyphidodon aureus)
1 Multibar angel (Paracentropyge multifasciata)
1 Flame Angel (Centropyge loricula)
1 Spingers damsel (Chrysiptera springeri)
1 Splendid dottyback (Pseudochromis splendens)
2 Sunburst Anthias(Serranocirrhitus latus)
1 Leopard wrasse(Macropharyngodon bipartitus)
2 Yellow coris wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
1 Blue lined rabbitfish (Siganus doliatus)
1 Pallid Reef Basslet (Liopropoma pallidum)
1 ruby red dragonet (Synchiropus sp.)
1 Unidentified trimma goby
1 Wheeler's goby (Amblyeleotris wheeleri)

Total: 16 = .15

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video=youtube_share;wHUIzv4ebpU]http://youtu.be/wHUIzv4ebpU[/video]

8 foot 240g

Acanthurus leucosternon
Acanthurus fowleri
Labroides dimidiatus
Choerodon fasciatus (Aussie)
Halichoeres hortulanus
Chaetodontoplus melanosoma
Chaetodontoplus meredithi
Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis
Genicanthus lamarck
Pomacanthus chrysurus
Pomacanthus navarchus
Holacanthus tricolor
Centropyge loricula
Chaetodon burgessi
Chaetodon collare
Chaetodon tinkeri
Chaetodon ephippium
Chaetodon falcula
Chaetodon fasciatus
Chaetodon flavirostris
Chaetodon mertensii
Chaetodon mitratus
Chaetodon punctatofasciatus
Chaetodon rainfordi
Chaetodon xanthurus
Chelmon muelleri
Hemitaurichthys polylepis x 2
Heniochus singularius
Microcanthus strigatus
Scarus quoyi
Amphiprion melanopus x 2
Chrysiptera hemicyanea
Chrysiptera talboti x 2
Pomacentrus alleni
Pseudochromis sankeyi
Valenciennea strigata

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ready to be yelled at..
29 gallon with 6 fish
six line wrasse, blue green chromis, two clownfish, pygmy angle, and a royal gramma..
I do have a 8 gal sump with a high turn over rate.. I have been running this system over a year now without an issue... it also has 9 anemones in the tank.

I think it is a inch or so per gallon when they are fully grown, but it also should be how well you can maintain a tank for great living conditions without letting the peramiters getting out of line.. Thats what makes a system healthy.. I could add one or two more smaller size fish, but I will not.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got sixteen so far in my 80g.
  • Acanthurus japonicus
  • Amphiprion ocellaris
  • Calloplesiops altivelis
  • Caracanthus maculatus
  • Centropyge potteri
  • 2x Chrysiptera springeri
  • Cryptocentrus cinctus
  • Ctenochaetus truncatus
  • Elacatinus multifasciatum
  • Poecilia latipinna
  • 2x Ptereleotris heteroptera
  • Serranus tortugarum
  • Siganus doliatus
  • Xanthichthys ringens

hippojack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 yellow tang
1 blue hippo
1 fire angle
1 little bright purple thing.
1 lemon goby
2 clown fish
1 bangi Cardinal
1 green cronies
65 tall

berbotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 g - OS tang, bh tang, hoevens wrasse, mystery wrasse, red coris wrasse, cleaner wrasse, clown, clown, chromis, lm blenney, 3x anthias, foxface, CBB, royal gamma, rainford goby, that snake like goby thing, purple fire fish, - my sps look better than my softies - I do run a massive skimmer but for the most part the poop goes directly onto sps -

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back