Votes: 27 7.6%

• Total voters

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the fish get along and have room to swim and water quality remains great. It makes no difference what so ever. Who would decide what is ok??? Its humorous that people think they can set these parameters. Lol have you looked at natural reefs. There is not an inch of free space. I myself have a 40b with a 20 tall sump. Wait for it......
Flame angel, 2 lg chromis, a clown, a 4 in firefish, springeri dottyback, bangai cardinal, yellow watchman, a pistol shrimp, 2 fire shrimp, a skunk shrimp, brittle star, lg serpent star, sand star, cuc, 2 sand conchs, well over 150 snails, bout 15-20 hermits, porcelin crab, decorator arrow crab.. I'm sure I'm missing some. Water is pristine and all get along great. I'm about out of room now. But this is well over recomended. And all is awsome. Great husbandry is all you need. Dont let artaficial standards run your thoughts.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my current 60 gallon i've got a .25 ratio. personally i have had difficulty keeping my nitrates and phosphates at 0 (still low, just not 0). i'm in the process of upgrading to a 150 gallon and am going to add some fish to that tank to give me a final ratio of .153. i feel like if you take the maximum potential a fish can grow and use that with the inch/gallon rule, you will be fine. in my 60 i got a little carried away, haha.
I had a problem with nitrates for years. Finally got it under control. For me I dropped feedings to once every other day. And only feed what can be eatin in 5 mins. Usually half a cube of misis and half a capful of marine snow. In a well stocked 40b. Lots of live plants in my sump and some macros in the display. And avoided dead spots in my tank. Pulled the rocks away from the glass and tried to avoid piles of rock. Put a pump in back to push debris off of the sand especially in back where you don't normally pay attention. Great cleanup crew. A good skimmer and rare water changes. Maybe once a month or two. Also keeping alk/calcium levels in line which I believe is really important for healthy nitrifying bacteria. Over feeding I believe was my worst problem. My nitrates tested pretty much perfect for ever. Then one time my fiancee over fed. About 5 times or more than I normally feed. 2 days later my sps started bleaching. 20ppm nitrates.3 days with no food and 50% water change. Back in line. Sps came back. Phew. Lost some color though. Back to normal feeding sched and all is well again. Hope this helps. :-D

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium I'm sure didn't do much for bacteria. But it goes hand in hand with alk. Which also affects ph. Huge for most marine life. I think

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a reminder, this thread is just for fun, there are no "rules" we're applying here. It's sampling data from our aquariums regarding density of fish. It's not meant to be a "useful" unit of measurement. The measurement shows how many fish people are cramming into their aquariums, some only have a few while others have a huge number, based on the poll results. Given there are some clear trends, I think it brings up questions relative to having a few big fish, a bunch of small fish, or a mix of large and small fish. The poll is forming a nice looking curve, except for the more than .50 data point.

Last edited:

goldy26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with nitrates for years. Finally got it under control. For me I dropped feedings to once every other day. And only feed what can be eatin in 5 mins. Usually half a cube of misis and half a capful of marine snow. In a well stocked 40b. Lots of live plants in my sump and some macros in the display. And avoided dead spots in my tank. Pulled the rocks away from the glass and tried to avoid piles of rock. Put a pump in back to push debris off of the sand especially in back where you don't normally pay attention. Great cleanup crew. A good skimmer and rare water changes. Maybe once a month or two. Also keeping alk/calcium levels in line which I believe is really important for healthy nitrifying bacteria. Over feeding I believe was my worst problem. My nitrates tested pretty much perfect for ever. Then one time my fiancee over fed. About 5 times or more than I normally feed. 2 days later my sps started bleaching. 20ppm nitrates.3 days with no food and 50% water change. Back in line. Sps came back. Phew. Lost some color though. Back to normal feeding sched and all is well again. Hope this helps. :-D

thanks for the tips! i'll have to try them out in the new setup. the 60 was my first tank, so i never had the proper clean up crew and didn't have a refugium to put live plants in until 7 months ago. i've got the new tank list of clean up crew and a refugium styled sump to have plants and macro's. half a cube of mysis and marine snow was enough for your fish? i usually give my guys a total of 3 cubes of mixed foods at 5 min. intervals, little by little. they eat it all. maybe my way isn't the best approach.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the tips! i'll have to try them out in the new setup. the 60 was my first tank, so i never had the proper clean up crew and didn't have a refugium to put live plants in until 7 months ago. i've got the new tank list of clean up crew and a refugium styled sump to have plants and macro's. half a cube of mysis and marine snow was enough for your fish? i usually give my guys a total of 3 cubes of mixed foods at 5 min. intervals, little by little. they eat it all. maybe my way isn't the best approach.
Yes one feeding every oyher day has worked fine. For about a year now. If your worried maybe do one every day. But I think 3 cubes a day is too much. Just my opinion. Maybe get more imput from others. :) and I groww chaeto, sawblade, grape caulerpa and codium in sump. They grow awsome. Throw a mixed bag away every month. Good export. Also mermaids fan, halmaids and red gracialara in display. Look nice. I've heard great things about algae scrubbers. Havnt tried yet. Unnecasary so far.

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.008 - 1 fish in 125G

once we get a QT set up and start actually stocking, our target is somewhere around 10 fish or .08

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to have 10-12 fish in my 120 gallon. 2 tangs, and the rest small.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a lot of fish per se but the fish I have are high bio load fish (tangs, Angels, etc) so I selected the heaviest stocked list here.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current stocking in my 130 DT, 40 gallon sump.

2 - Zebra Barred Dartfish
2 - Snowflake Clownfish - bonded pair
1 - Magnificent Foxface
1 - Marginalis Butterfly
1 - Yellow Belly Hippo
3 - Dispar Anthias
2 - Black Molly
1 - Blue Throat Trigger
1 - Yellow Wrasse
2 - Red Flame Hawk - bonded pair

Total: 16 (0.123/gallon)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back