How much is this going to cost me?

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just picked up this 180 gallon tank from someone and noticed a hairline crack on the bottom panel by one of the bulkheads. I imagine there isn't a way to fix the crack itself and I'm not sure if I would trust a patch job. Does anyone know about how much it would to replace the bottom panel? Is a panel replacement necessary for this crack? My buddy thought maybe we could drill the bulkhead hole a little bigger to remove the crack. Not sure if that's an option.
20170121_201646.jpg
20170121_201653.jpg
20170121_201700.jpg
20170121_201646.jpg

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it for sure a crack or is it silicone? I had a 55 with silicone that looked like a hair line until I ran my finger over it and realized it was silicone. I don't know about the cost but if it is really a crack, I wouldn't trust the tank unless the entire bottom was replaced. That is a massive amount of water/sand/rock to be gambling with.

OP
OP
BC1906

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a crack. You can fill it when you run your finger over it. I plan on replacing the bottom panel. Anybody know of a place around Tampa, FL That can replace the bottom?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one will be able to tell you for certain if it is safe to use, or not. That crack may have been there for a long time, or it could have happened when the previous owner tore it down to sell. I notice that there is also silicone globbed around that bulkhead, so it is probably also leaking at that spot. Bottom line is, if it were mine, I wouldn't use it. You never know when that crack may run and cause the bottom to give way, causing damage to your home, not to mention the cost of the loss of the expensive inhabitants in your tank. Replacing the glass can be done, but it is a lot of work and needs to be done properly. I'd try to get my money back if I were you, if that is even possible. I'd get a new tank.

OP
OP
BC1906

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one will be able to tell you for certain if it is safe to use, or not. That crack may have been there for a long time, or it could have happened when the previous owner tore it down to sell. I notice that there is also silicone globbed around that bulkhead, so it is probably also leaking at that spot. Bottom line is, if it were mine, I wouldn't use it. You never know when that crack may run and cause the bottom to give way, causing damage to your home, not to mention the cost of the inhabitants in your tank. Replacing the glass can be done, but it is a lot of work and needs to be done properly. I'd try to get my money back if I were you, if that is even possible. I'd get a new tank.

I agree with everything you're saying. I'm looking for a glass shop who can replace the bottom. Depending how much it is I may just have to start looking for just another tank

OP
OP
BC1906

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hard would it be to replace the bottom myself if I got the bottom panel? Would it be possible to get the bottom panel and simply place it on top of the old panel and silicon it in?

OP
OP
BC1906

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After further inspection it's not a crack but a chip and not that deep. I spoke with a custom aquarium maker and he suggested to silicone two pieces of acrylic on each side of the tank where the chip is and redrill the bulkhead holes

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quite surprised that a tank manufacturer told you to try to bond acrylic to glass with silicone. Silicone does not adhere long term to acrylic. If you are going to do that, make the patches out of glass. I have personally patched holes that were drilled in the bottom of a 200 gallon tank and moved the overflows.

I think if this was my tank and I was dead set on trying to save it, I would remove the overflow, seal up the holes on the bottom (on both sides) with glass & silicone and then install a "Ghost style" overflow on the back.

OP
OP
BC1906

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask why you would seal up the holes on both sides and add a ghost overflow vs just sealing the one slide up with glass and redrilling the holes? I appreciate all your advice. I'm new to drilled tanks so I'm just curious

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it does look like the bulkhead is installed wrong. It looks like the gasket is on the nut side......that's wrong. Gasket always goes on the flange side. Maybe that's why there is all that silicone around the flange.....and why the glass is cracked.....Over tightening the nut.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask why you would seal up the holes on both sides and add a ghost overflow vs just sealing the one slide up with glass and redrilling the holes? I appreciate all your advice. I'm new to drilled tanks so I'm just curious
Because I really would want to avoid messing with (drilling around the hole) the tank in the damaged area. That is just what I would do.

I would go with the Ghost or similar overflow, because it frees up lots of space in the tank nd if set up properly, silent. The Ghost style only extends into the tank 1¼".

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand tank is it? Get your money back. But a new marineland for about 350$. Cheaper than having 10k in damage to your home and lost livestock. I wouldnt even consider using it. If ypur friends a good friend you will get your money back.

OP
OP
BC1906

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what brand it is. There is no sticker. I didn't buy this from a friend. Just a person online. I paid 400 for the tank, stand, 2 return pumps, 2 protein skimmers, sump, chiller, phosphate reactor, a couple of maxijet 1200, 150lbs of rock, redsea wavemaker and some other misc stuff.

What brand tank is it? Get your money back. But a new marineland for about 350$. Cheaper than having 10k in damage to your home and lost livestock. I wouldnt even consider using it. If ypur friends a good friend you will get your money back.

I'm not sure where you saw a brand new Marineland 180g tank for 350. New they are almost $1,000.

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you got your 400$ worth out of everything without the tank, assume the stuff is quality.
I cant speak for your area but around me 125s are like 300 for just the tank, 180 may be 400 tops in a lot of lfs. But your area may ne different.

On a side note, if you want to save it, remove the bulkheads and all plumbing, since you will have to anyway. Amd really figure out if its a crack or a chip, doesnt seems like anyone can see it real well. Get some good pics and maybe you will have a better idea of severity. A small chip is not as bad as a crack of any kind.

OP
OP
BC1906

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you got your 400$ worth out of everything without the tank, assume the stuff is quality.
I cant speak for your area but around me 125s are like 300 for just the tank, 180 may be 400 tops in a lot of lfs. But your area may ne different.

On a side note, if you want to save it, remove the bulkheads and all plumbing, since you will have to anyway. Amd really figure out if its a crack or a chip, doesnt seems like anyone can see it real well. Get some good pics and maybe you will have a better idea of severity. A small chip is not as bad as a crack of any kind.

I was just looking online and saw them for $1000. I haven't look at any of the lfs near me yet.

It's not a crack. It's a chip. I originally though it was a crack but when I removed the bulkhead I realized its actually a chip. Not too deep either

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just get a new tank. I know it costs more right now but if the tank busts then you lose the tank, inhabitants, and damage your home with corrosive water. Please think carefully about the long term affects of not buying a different tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back