How much sand for a 220?

colesjensen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 220 gallon tank the dimensions are 72"x24"x30". I am going to want about 2 in of live sand. How many pounds would that be?

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 200lbs in my tank with same dimensions and it gave me about 4 inches so probably around a 100 would be my guess.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was gonna say up to 150 after thinking about it again. I may have gone with 300 to start. It has been about 7 years since I had to think about it. I used Reefflakes from Premium Aquatics.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed. we should also blast rinse both of them, live and dry, before use so that zero clouding emits as we scape and move around rocks etc. the live sand we buy doesn't come with worms and pods to rinse away, its wet/bacteria and rinsing will not sterilize live sand or microbiologists would have a much easier day at work

rinsing out brand new live sand before use helps in many ways, removal of fine flashing silt that provides early silicates to diatoms being one direct benefit. we cannot sterilize a surface by washing it even in tap water, that's what I use to pre rinse and at 220 gallons it will save a ton of headache using saltwater to rinse all that. tap it, then final several gallons is a saltwater rinse on the live portion, that's what Id do.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed. we should also blast rinse both of them, live and dry, before use so that zero clouding emits as we scape and move around rocks etc. the live sand we buy doesn't come with worms and pods to rinse away, its wet/bacteria and rinsing will not sterilize live sand or microbiologists would have a much easier day at work

rinsing out brand new live sand before use helps in many ways, removal of fine flashing silt that provides early silicates to diatoms being one direct benefit. we cannot sterilize a surface by washing it even in tap water, that's what I use to pre rinse and at 220 gallons it will save a ton of headache using saltwater to rinse all that. tap it, then final several gallons is a saltwater rinse on the live portion, that's what Id do.
I feel there is very limited value in live sand. Yes, it has bacteria added. Try keeping bacteria out of your tank. Can't do it. Maybe a bag to add a little biodiversity in the way of bacteria would be about as much as I would do.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed and for the communities we like to boost in a tank, the nitrifiers don't need any more help sixteen football fields layed out of them is plenty. we like the ones vsv boosts. the mass-aggregators that pull out N and P in their exported body mass. they'll get in naturally, we just need em on the booze to really work well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back