How often do you Mag Float clean your glass?

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I NEVER clean the back glass lol.
The only reason that I have done it is the Spirorbis worms. At first it's like a pretty picture of a starry night sky, little white specks against a vast background of deep black... lol then they multiply and get bigger and it gets plain ugly.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone notice hard to remove green dots under the film algae?
It comes off with a razor but just curious if its the same film that hardens...

@ahiggins , I have these. They are not coraline if they are like mine. Mag-float will not remove them. I have a (DIY) razor blade holder glued to my mag-float and it does (easily).

Is yours a brighter green than the normal glass slime-algae?

If you don't remove it, it will spread slowing outward, but is still fairly easy to remove.

Recently, I have been letting my NO3 creep up to about 7ppm-NO3 and I had a huge PO4 spike (10 PPM). While PO4 is back down to about 0.030 PPM, I notice the back glass is nearly completely coated with this hard to remove bright green algae. This is because I clean the back glass about every 2 weeks. Leaving it on there so long has made it harder to remove with just a razor blade glued to a mag-float. I have to stick my hand in there while holding the razor blade in an aluminum razor blade holder.

BTW, my yellow tank now identifies the razor blade as "Yum-Yum special treat time". Meaning: the yellow tang love to eat this algae when I scrape it off the glass.

Delta1389

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ahiggins , I have these. They are not coraline if they are like mine. Mag-float will not remove them. I have a (DIY) razor blade holder glued to my mag-float and it does (easily).

Is yours a brighter green than the normal glass slime-algae?

If you don't remove it, it will spread slowing outward, but is still fairly easy to remove.

Recently, I have been letting my NO3 creep up to about 7ppm-NO3 and I had a huge PO4 spike (10 PPM). While PO4 is back down to about 0.030 PPM, I notice the back glass is nearly completely coated with this hard to remove bright green algae. This is because I clean the back glass about every 2 weeks. Leaving it on there so long has made it harder to remove with just a razor blade glued to a mag-float. I have to stick my hand in there while holding the razor blade in an aluminum razor blade holder.

BTW, my yellow tank now identifies the razor blade as "Yum-Yum special treat time". Meaning: the yellow tang love to eat this algae when I scrape it off the glass.

Wouldn't this just be green coralline algae? I have it on my back glass. Looks exactly the same as the pink and purple stuff just green. I also have a small amount of orange coralline on a rock and some dark red near the underside of some rocks.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't this just be green coralline algae? I have it on my back glass. Looks exactly the same as the pink and purple stuff just green. I also have a small amount of orange coralline on a rock and some dark red near the underside of some rocks.

I might be coralline in ahiggins case but not in mine (see photos). I got my tang to provide a little photo assist (background contrast).

Coralline is stiff and brittle and tangs don't eat it. This green stuff in my tank curls up in the current after I scrape it off and the is eagerly eaten by the tang.

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG
IMG_0950.JPG

Delta1389

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was what I was referring to as green coralline algae. Also pictured is the orange and the red along with the typical pink and purple.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was what I was referring to as green coralline algae. Also pictured is the orange and the red along with the typical pink and purple.

Yup. That's definitely coralline algae you have there. Wow! you seem to have a quite a bit growing there. Are you dosing extra "something" (e.g. iodine)?

Last edited:

NVTE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime i see spot

Bud Crayne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to clean the glass off every 3 days or so until I started using Vibrant, now about once a day.

:cool:
I'm guessing you're being sarcastic about the use of Vibrant. I've never heard of this product until this thread. If vibrant really worked as well as some are suggesting I think we would all use it. I would like to know more about it. I know this forum has many well informed posters. Please let me know what you think honestly about this product. I would love a magic cure for my algae issues, thanks.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing you're being sarcastic about the use of Vibrant. I've never heard of this product until this thread. If vibrant really worked as well as some are suggesting I think we would all use it. I would like to know more about it. I know this forum has many well informed posters. Please let me know what you think honestly about this product. I would love a magic cure for my algae issues, thanks.
No, I wasn't being sarcastic. I am having to clean my glass daily now.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-by-uwc-testing.276336/

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brian Treadwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the Vibrant topic , I have a bottle and use it on the wife's little six gallon nano tank and it did work very well the little tank was looking bad with GHA and substrate covered in diatoms , after two doses it was mostly gone and I clean the glass on that tank about weekly it looks better than ever. I don't think it is a miracle cure and some of GHA is coming back but very small patches. I do not use it in my 90 because I use the VSV glass box method. I have thought about trying it but think it would be overkill , clean glass on 90 every couple of days.

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's my 2 Cents. I used to use my Mag Float once a day, just because. But I was doing research like we do with anything to do with our Reefs, and I came across an article on a product called Robosnail. This awesome invention is an automated Glass/Acrylic Cleaner. It will activate once per day at the same time. You could of course run it as many times as necessary, but not needed. Below is the picture of the device. I would encourage anyone who is looking for one less thing to worry about with their Reefs, or are technology junkies like myself.
736a08caf721e92350d7e7756335a156.jpg

www.robosnail.com

Back