How should I plumb a fuge into existing set up?

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I want to add a refugium to my existing and running display/sump. The fuge is going to be 5.5g and I'm thinking lit by LEDs. I was thinking about T-ing off my overflow with a ball valve on the pipe to the fuge so I can control flow, and the excess will go into the sump. I would drill the fuge and have it overflow into the sump. I'm pretty new to plumbing and not really sure if this is even the best way to do it.

I was also thinking about just putting a maxijet in the fuge and having it run independantly, but I'd really rather avoid another pump. My electric bill is already through the roof, and with such a small tank I'd rather not have a maxijet in there for spacial reasons.

I'm hoping someone with a little more experience has some insight or ideas. Ideally I'd like to somehow force the skimmer's output to the fuge so I can get all these micro bubbles out of my display.

Here's how it's set up now.
2c537165.jpg

Here's how it fits with the 5.5g
58e4eb6b.jpg

I was thinking about raising it, for overflow purposes but it's really cramped down there like that. I'd like to avoid doing this if possible, but it's not the biggest deal.
521beccc.jpg

Thanks for any input!
Nate

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so your going to add another small tank for the fuge right. I would get the water to flow thru the fuge last then back into your display. BTW damm that tattoo must have hurt+

you could always drill a bulk head into both the sump into the right side of the new tank for water in, then drill another bulk head on the left side into your sump where the pump is. That will pull the water from your sump thru the fuge back into your pump. Only real issue is you will bypasds some water from your skimmer

Last edited:

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the fuge between the display tank and the sump. The sump by definition must be the lowest container when water is pumped from to the highest. It is also where the water level varies with other tanks/containers mantained at more or less constant levels through overflows.

Just drain the display to your new refugium and have the refugium higher then the sump. Then have an overflow (hopefully drilled at the water level height) to drain from the refugium to the sump.

just my .02

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nate82

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW damm that tattoo must have hurt+

you could always drill a bulk head into both the sump into the right side of the new tank for water in, then drill another bulk head on the left side into your sump where the pump is. That will pull the water from your sump thru the fuge back into your pump. Only real issue is you will bypasds some water from your skimmer

Haha yea, the kidneys were the worst. :sad:I couldn't imagine trying to drill the sump, it's full at the moment and no real option of emptying it. I'd cry if I cracked a $200 sump, trying to drill for a bulkhead.

I would put the fuge between the display tank and the sump. The sump by definition must be the lowest container when water is pumped to the highest. It is also where the water level varies with other tanks/containers mantained at more or less constant levels through overflows.

Just drain the display to your new refugium and have the refugium higher then the sump. Then have an overflow (hopefully drilled at the water level height) to drain from the refugium to the sump.

just my .02

That's pretty much exactly what I plan to do. I'm going to turn the sump 90 degrees so I can still work around down there, and elevate the fuge just above the sump. I have the hole drilled in the tank (only lost 1 tank in the process haha), and I'm waiting on the Fedex guy to get here with my bulk head. I'll let you guys know how it goes, should be done by tonight:bigsmile:

CONSTANTNE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your idea is pretty good for using the drain and ease of hook up. Perhaps you can use a bulkhead with a downward facing street elbow to drain the water from the fuge back into the sump. Bad thing is you will need it probably raised to the height you raised it.

The other option would be to connect the sump and fuge with a bulkhead so water flows through and you dont need to raise the fuge. Problem you may run into is the 5.5 gallone water line will be the same as your sump water line.

OP
OP
Nate82

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your idea is pretty good for using the drain and ease of hook up. Perhaps you can use a bulkhead with a downward facing street elbow to drain the water from the fuge back into the sump. Bad thing is you will need it probably raised to the height you raised it.

The other option would be to connect the sump and fuge with a bulkhead so water flows through and you dont need to raise the fuge. Problem you may run into is the 5.5 gallone water line will be the same as your sump water line.

I'd also have to drill an already established and running sump... I don't think it being raised will be too much of an issue, because the tanks will be turned. I'll be able to access both with ease. I doubt I'll have to stick my hands in the fuge too much anyways.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude $200? (thats pretty much what I spent, glass is cheaper so I will just assume) Sounds acrylic to me, drilling that is a piece of cake. I would worry about the glass more than that. I know someone who used the 2 bulkheads connected to the sump for his skimmer, the rest was a gigantic (55 gal?) fuge for a 125g tank.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yea, the kidneys were the worst. :sad:I couldn't imagine trying to drill the sump, it's full at the moment and no real option of emptying it. I'd cry if I cracked a $200 sump, trying to drill for a bulkhead.

That's pretty much exactly what I plan to do. I'm going to turn the sump 90 degrees so I can still work around down there, and elevate the fuge just above the sump. I have the hole drilled in the tank (only lost 1 tank in the process haha), and I'm waiting on the Fedex guy to get here with my bulk head. I'll let you guys know how it goes, should be done by tonight:bigsmile:

If you get impatient you can always use a reducing bushing and male reducing fitting from home depot. they can form a diy bulkhead.

my .02

Back