How to change tanks?

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seriously considering upgrading my 29g to a 60g cube and use the 29g as its refugium. Right now, because it's fallow, the only things in it is the CUC, coral, a sponge and 2 anemones. I want the 60 to go in the same spot as the 29g. How in the world do I do that without killing everyone? There has to be a way. This isn't likely going to happen until at least March or April, but I'm trying to plan it out and this is a major stumbling block.

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get 3 10g buckets.
the key is to not expose anything to air during the moving of rock and corals to the buckets, you may have to get a smaller bucket to scoop the rocks out with etc.

once you have removed all the contents, as soon as you can, get the 60g in place and fill it with the contents of your 10g buckets, again without exposing anything to air. this will limit the effect of moving everything and starting a major cycle.

then use the 10g buckets to mix up your additional salt water and add to 60g.

thoroughly clean the 29g and fill with fresh salt water. adjust the plumbing and you are done.

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get 3 10g buckets.
the key is to not expose anything to air during the moving of rock and corals to the buckets, you may have to get a smaller bucket to scoop the rocks out with etc.

once you have removed all the contents, as soon as you can, get the 60g in place and fill it with the contents of your 10g buckets, again without exposing anything to air. this will limit the effect of moving everything and starting a major cycle.

then use the 10g buckets to mix up your additional salt water and add to 60g.

thoroughly clean the 29g and fill with fresh salt water. adjust the plumbing and you are done.

That sounds logical. I think I can picture the process better now. Thanks. :)

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that same problem once, but adding the additional buckets solved it, and have been useful ever since for water changes, once to hold RODI in, one to mix saltwater in and one for the waste water :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back