How to cycle QT...

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 65 DT same time I started the 10 gallon QT...only difference is I started with 65lbs live rock and live sand in DT and only started with bio pellets and carbon in QT. DT reads 0 ammonia and high nitrites, but QT still reads high ammonia. Should I add something to QT to help it cycle or will it eventually get there?

OP
OP
mpjmeyer

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I even have the QT running right now? What I did was bought 3 spare foam filters for the QT and have them floating in the refugium now to get the bacteria and stuff from main tank. Should I take the foam filter thats in the QT now and put that in fuge? That way once tank is all cycled and I need to run the QT, I can just grab a foam filter and add water to it.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my QT always running but I still do a WC once a week of 2 gallon just incase even if I have no fish in it.
It's for me a piece of mind as I get locally some times a question if I can teach a newbie how to QT and they bring the fish over and I'll start the QT for them and every weekend or week days they drop by and I'll let them test the water and do a WC, feed the fish teach them how and what kind of food and prep the food with vitamins.
If fish gets sick I'll show them the medicine they have to use and also teach the TTM.
Once they have done this in a full cycle they are on their own.
I have done this to many locals and never lost a fish from the cheap damsels to a GEM once.
You never know if you see a fish that's on your list and once you have always a QT ready you are more comfortable to buy the fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 65 DT same time I started the 10 gallon QT...only difference is I started with 65lbs live rock and live sand in DT and only started with bio pellets and carbon in QT. DT reads 0 ammonia and high nitrites, but QT still reads high ammonia. Should I add something to QT to help it cycle or will it eventually get there?

What type of filter do you have on your QT?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any bacteria to the QT?

Bio-pellets are a food source for bacteria, but as far as I know, don't actually contain any bacteria. If the sponge currently in the QT filter hasn't been "seeded" with bacteria in some way, you may not have anything in there to consume ammonia . . .

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of stopping the QT, taking the foam filter and sticking it into the DT fuge to gather nutrients

That will work, but may take a month or longer to fully seed the sponge.

A shortcut (if you're wanting to QT fish soon) is to use one of those bacteria in a bottle products like Bio-Spira, Seachem Stability or Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria.

OP
OP
mpjmeyer

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also could use one of the foam filters that have been in the fuge since day 1 to help the QT instead of the oneI'm using now...right?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could - just swapping the two out - but the bottled bacteria Humblefish mentioned wouldn't hurt . . .

Keep in mind that should you need to use copper or other non-reef-safe medications in your QT, the sponge you use it with should never be placed into your display's system.

~Bruce

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back