How to fix acrylic weld?

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My swc skimmer cup is leaking between the round portion of the cup and the cup base, need to fix somehow because swc I can no longer get parts for it. I ordered weld-on #16 and wondering if that would do the trick. Anybodies input that has any experience in this would be appreciated, thanks

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not terribly experienced but 16 is really thick - not sure you can get it into the seam. Might try WD-4 and let it wick in - if you can get it clean and dry first!
Or maybe ask SWC? Might be as simple as having them fix/replace it.

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had luck in the past by mixing weldon 3-or4 with weldon 16 . make it just runny enough to seep into the crack. prop the cup into a position were it can sit like that for about 8 hours. I have fixed more than one seam in this manner. DO NOT use this method on a pressure type application,

OP
OP
tjnorthdakota

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had luck in the past by mixing weldon 3-or4 with weldon 16 . make it just runny enough to seep into the crack. prop the cup into a position were it can sit like that for about 8 hours. I have fixed more than one seam in this manner. DO NOT use this method on a pressure type application,
Ok, will have to order some #4 and give it a try, thanks

OP
OP
tjnorthdakota

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not terribly experienced but 16 is really thick - not sure you can get it into the seam. Might try WD-4 and let it wick in - if you can get it clean and dry first!
Or maybe ask SWC? Might be as simple as having them fix/replace it.
I'm not 100% sure but when i inquired about buying a new cup I was told they are no longer in buisness

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used frag glue, on a base that totally separated from the cup. It's been about a year now and it's still working great.

thrasher1472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try using the weld on 16 like caulking on inside to seal it, it should melt into and fill gaps. My first attempt at an external overflow box leaked like crazy, after 2 coats on the inside the thing held water. Stuff is thick but will still shoot out if not careful!

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a baking soda supper glue trick you can google it but it will weld plastic

OP
OP
tjnorthdakota

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try using the weld on 16 like caulking on inside to seal it, it should melt into and fill gaps. My first attempt at an external overflow box leaked like crazy, after 2 coats on the inside the thing held water. Stuff is thick but will still shoot out if not careful!
Thanks, did this and it worked like a charm! Had the #16 already but was hesitant to try it since its thicker than the #3 or 4. Applied one coat on the inside and water tested the cup overnight with no leaks, seems pretty solid now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back