How to install an overflow box and drill an aquarium.

Have you ever drilled a glass aquarium?

• YES

Votes: 65 57.5%
  • NO

Votes: 48 42.5%

• Total voters

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got about 11 holes or so drilled plus a couple practice holes in some scrap glass. I've also notched a 34" channel in the back glass to create an external (almost) coast to coast overflow.

RedFishBlueFish summed it up pretty good. A guide is essential. I used some 1/4" strapping to make my guide, but what ever works.
Take some of the pressure off the drill, especially if you have an older or industrial drill (heavy). Light pressure and very low speed.

I'd also recommend getting some scrap glass about the same thickness as the tank if you are nervous about it or just want to get a feel for it. My first couple of holes were on some really thin glass with super cheap bits (2 for less than $10 shipped) so I wanted to see if the bit would actually work and if it would chip the glass.
See if you can get some off cuts for free or just buy a piece big enough to drill a few holes. It won't guarantee that you'll drill perfect holes in the tank, but you will get a feel for what is too fast and how the bit breaks through the other side, which will chip if you go too fast or get off angle as it finishes the cut. Which is actually grinding, not cutting.
I also found that the bits seemed to cut a little smoother after they have drilled a hole or two.

Last edited:

bkweibley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I actually have a question that has to do with this. I just drilled my first tank last night. Drilling went well. I put the bulk heads on, gasket on the inside, tightened the nut on the back of the bulkhead by hand so that i wouldnt crack the glass, but made sure it was as tight as I could get it by hand. Ran all of my pvc, filled it up and bam! Slow leaks around each bulk head. Why am I leaking there when everything seems great? Do you guys also use silicone behind your bulkheads? This seems like a horrible idea but im not sure of any other way to fix this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ha e drilled an aquarium twice, and both times I was nervous and almost needed an underwear change. I heard a crack or popping noise each time..
Nonetheless everything turned out great

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I actually have a question that has to do with this. I just drilled my first tank last night. Drilling went well. I put the bulk heads on, gasket on the inside, tightened the nut on the back of the bulkhead by hand so that i wouldnt crack the glass, but made sure it was as tight as I could get it by hand. Ran all of my pvc, filled it up and bam! Slow leaks around each bulk head. Why am I leaking there when everything seems great? Do you guys also use silicone behind your bulkheads? This seems like a horrible idea but im not sure of any other way to fix this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No silicone needed. Are the bulkheads new? How tight was the hole around the bulkhead? When I got my return kit from glass-holes the hole saw was quite a bit bigger than the bulkhead. I just made sure the bulkhead was centered in the hole when I tightened it down so gasket made complete contact with glass. Also, if they are schedule 40 bulkheads and you put stress on them just right while doing your plumbing they could have cracked. I only tighten hand tight and have no problem.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Simple question....did you put the gasket on the right side?

Regardless of how the bulkhead is installed, the gasket always....always....always.... goes on the flange side. Never put the gasket on the threaded side.

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling isn't as bad as everyone says. Go slower than you'd like too, and you'll be fine. It took be like 10-15 mins per hole

Did you use a hand drill? I did 5 holes in about ten minutes early this evening.

dvskin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you could be lucky enough to have access to on of these guys!!

IMG_20131027_131847_zps78c84ba7.jpg

Made myself one of these
IMG_20131101_155430_zps49271095.jpg

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have drilled a lot of tanks. Not certain but I may be the only one in the area as I have people ask all the time. 3/4"-2" bulkheads I have the bits.
Tricks I have found
Use cooking oil as the lube, has greater viscosity than water and doesn't spray everywhere . Bit more work on clean up but worth it.
Tape both sided of the glass.
Clamp a piece of scrap wood to the underside to prevent chipping
Thicker glass is easier. Rather do a 75 than a 29 and I hate when people want a 10 drilled. 125+ are a piece of cake
Not to fast not to slow, a good steady speed is best.
Haven't needed to buy bits in a while bit search lau*** on eBay.quality is average, I get 10 holes before the bit gets dull, but last time I bought from him it was $14 shipped for a bit to do a 1" BH
Don't forget a 1" BH needs a hole bigger than that and most times it listed in mm so double check your size.
Now let me search for the thread were I cut a 55 in half height wise using a diamond coated saw blade. Had the tank wanted it in a space were I only had about a foot, and I didn't know Aqueon made a 33 gal that is 4'x1'x10"

Last edited:

mikey_p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and a buddy drilled my bow front and then built the overflow ourself worked flawless I would drill a tank again

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've cut 12 holes in tanks ranging from 10-120 gallons, all with a Dremmel and harbor freight diamond bits. There's about 6 useable bits in the pack for $8. I'm too chicken to try with a drill as I've seen two friends crack tanks with a drill and talked to two others that broke tanks. Using a dremmel takes a long time, and you don't end up with a clean and pretty hole, but the bulkhead covers it up. I cut a 3" hole in my 120 (1/2"), it took about 45 min and two bits. Only glass I've broke with a dremmel was I tried cutting a notch in a glass top for a return pipe and didn't know it was tempered. It exploded! Woke me up better than a cup of coffee.

Big Larr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled three holes in the 1/2" glass of my rimless and was easy but was loud and took some time to do ended up being way easier than I imagined

kas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve drilled a few holes!

Here are my comments and recommendations about drilling glass. It is very easy once you know what you’re doing. You’re an expert after your first hole.

1. Make sure the glass is not tempered. YOU CANNOT DRILL TEMPERED GLASS. If you are not sure is the glass is tempered, check with the manufacturer or use THIS simple method to determine temper. Don’t simply rely on the labels on the bottom of some tanks….they lie.

With the above method, I use a pair of polarized sunglasses and a netbook computer with Microsoft Word open. Works like a charm….just like in the article.

2. Use a jig to guide the drill bit (or the drill attachment show in the OP video from BRS). The overflow boxes I’ve gotten from Glass-Holes came with drill jig guides. This makes drilling a hole so much easier. If you don’t use a guide, the bit will want to “walk†around the glass. THIS video does show you how to start a hole without a guide (starting the bit at an angle), but the guide makes it sooooo much easier. I make guides out of scrape plexiglass. Here is an example of one of my jigs.

IMG_1269.jpg

I also use a little plumber’s putty so that now the jig also acts as the reservoir for the water. This gets taped down to the tank. Keep water in the reservoir at all times.

IMG_1271.jpg

3. Take your time! Let the bit do the cutting. Do not put any pressure on the drill. This is especially true when you are close to breaking through to the other side. If there is pressure on the drill, it will increase the likelihood of small pieces of glass breaking away from the hole.

IMG_1273.jpg

4. Catch the hole. Put something down on the opposite side of the tank to catch the hole. A folded up towel works great. If you don’t catch the hole, it could break the glass when the hole falls.

IMG_1275.jpg

It actually is very easy…..happy drilling.
a
s stated. make sure glass Is not tempered. It WILL shatter. happened to me and get new glass and do It again.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am totally new on this, easy on me :neutral: Planning to upgrade to a bigger tank 1.) On what part of the Tank you drill holes, is it about 1 inch lower, top rim of the tank? 2.) Once drilled, do you still need an overflow box to get the water down to the Sump? 3.) Do I need two holes, 1 for overflow and 1 for the return? Appreciate it.

Last edited:

Big Larr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend at least 3" down from top and you don't need an overflow box all depends on how you set up your plumbing and I done two drain holes and one return hole just plan plan and plan again before you drill

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the ghost overflow I did it is pretty obvious where to set it and mark your holes. I like it because my box inside my tank is only about 1.5" deep so it doesn't take up room inside my tank. With my black back you don't even notice it.

Big Larr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a back view of how I done mine the middle hole is for the return line

Attachments

• 1428016547758.jpg
    1428016547758.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 277

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.4%
Back