How to learn this hobby

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've helped my fair share of people get into this hobby, and I've noticed a trend lately that almost always backfires. The prevailing attitude goes a little something like this: "I can skip learning the basics because I'm going to buy a controller, some reactors and a few other gadgets to automate everything for me." :eek: I actually advocate the exact opposite for noobs: Learn to do everything manually first, and then look for devices you can connect to your WiFi and control with your iPhone. :p My reasoning is this:
  • You spend more time learning how to operate the gadget than focusing on the fundamentals of the hobby. I know people who will check every probe and every setting on every controller before even thinking of looking to see what's going on inside the aquarium to find the problem. Maybe a snail is stuck inside your pump and it's shell jamming the impeller is the reason why the pump won't come on? ;)
  • If ever your kalk or calcium reactor or ATO were to break ... Do you know you can use a milk jug and crimped airline hose to gravity drip supplements directly into your tank? :eek:
  • Spending thousands on toys for your aquarium really adds pressure to succeed with it sooner rather than later. Especially in the eyes of a disapproving spouse.
  • The best deals in this hobby always come secondhand. Unfortunately, top-of-the-line used equipment isn't always readily available. But if you're patient and keep an eye out, a deal will come along. In the meantime, learn to do everything the hard way. :p
I'm also not one to push a newbie into buying "the biggest tank you can afford/fit" and insist that you have to use a sump. Buy a cheap, small, second hand system and work out the kinks of your tank husbandry with that. Experiment with all the things you heard, think you know, in there. :D Once you feel more confident in what you're doing, then is the time to upgrade to a larger system. By then you will have realized that a quarantine or frag tank is a not a bad idea, so your "old tank" won't go to waste.

So how do I get better and learn this hobby? #1 Go slow (can't stress the importance of this enough) and #2 Read. I'm going to share a secret with you: No matter how well you plan it all out, no matter how hard you try ... you will never, ever reach the finish line with your tank. There will always be a coral/fish to trade for some other one, or a tweak/modification to make on your tank. It never gets completely finished. ;) So be patient, enjoy the ride, and go slow.

Read as much as you can here on R2R and other forums. And there are two books IMO every newbie in this hobby should read cover to cover:
  1. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner
  2. Natural Reef Aquariums by John H. Tullock

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advise I do everything manually and also recommend it to anyone getting into the hobby. I see so many people in the lfs buying calcium reactors and controllers and fancy ph probes to start off and always ask wheres the rock? Then get told we dont need much rock as we are doing a fish only tank. Then I am amazed I have not been kicked out the lfs when I tell them you dont need a calcium reactor for a fish tank.

I have just never understood the need for a controller for my tank. Its my tank I control it. But then I have never had one so thats probably why. I have seen to many tank crashes lately that can be linked to a controller and other piece of equipment that failed and caused the controller to wipe out the tank when it would have been fine till they got home

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. As much as I appear to wail on equipment & technology in the preceding post, the very first gadget you should buy is a controller which keeps track of your tank's temperature. Those can be a lifesaver if a heater sticks (which usually happens while you're on vacation. ;)) A Reefkeeper Lite with a temp probe might be the only new tank gadget they've made in the past 20 years that I found I really need. ;)

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up! And I agree whole heartedly, learn to do things manually so if something were to ever arise you know how to handle the situation better than running around like a chicken with its head cut off. It would also cut down on the, "help urgent something broke" threads haha

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this post. When I began reefs, I went with the idea that if I could handle a smaller tank and hardly any equipment, then I would upgrade. Nothing goes to waste when you upgrade. Sell or use as qt.

I have the ca rx and apex, but still do manual most things. Keeps me aware of my system and animals.

New to hobby definitely need patience (a bit of guns and roses), and research.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread.

I learn something that I think is significant with regard to my particular system everyday. Still putting pieces of the big puzzle together and I have had countless long term tanks. The continuous learning curve is what keeps me in this hobby.

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm truly a newbie to the hobby. One thing that you guys have taught me is take your time, nothing good in this hobby happens quickly. And bare basic knowledge, don't be afraid to ask questions. There's no such thing as a stupid question. I thank you all. This thread needs to be seen by all

Freakyyfort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked for the basics and I was given links and took a biology and chemistry college class...... still rereading all of it. Way to much for a one read..

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is so true the sad part is some of us get all the gadgets to automate and will still do everything manually. I literally have 3 dosers that have set next to the tanks for 4 months along with the tubing and jugs. My apex literally only monitors for me and works the lights. I actually really enjoy working on my tanks though it's my release and helps calm a hectic day or week.

Anyway everyone good luck reefing and enjoy.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is so true the sad part is some of us get all the gadgets to automate and will still do everything manually. I literally have 3 dosers that have set next to the tanks for 4 months along with the tubing and jugs. My apex literally only monitors for me and works the lights. I actually really enjoy working on my tanks though it's my release and helps calm a hectic day or week.

Anyway everyone good luck reefing and enjoy.

this is me.
i have dosers and automation out the wazoo and i still prefer my shotglass to dose.

im a failure....

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is me.
i have dosers and automation out the wazoo and i still prefer my shotglass to dose.

im a failure....

Can't call it failures and can't really call it lazy, but will go with creatures of habit and possibly a little untrusting of automation.
Either way as long as you are able to manually seems to be a lot better for the tank and finding problems.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still in that boat too. I got the gadgets as I try to buy them second hand for a good price. But until I have everything settled and going good I am still manually doing things. It's just smart with a new tank, whether you are new to the hobby or not. New tanks can't be put onto autopilot until they are settled in.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have learned so much from everyone here, as I am also a newby ( going on a year this month) I still do everything manually and right now I like it that way. I know everyday what is going on with my tank and to be honest I LOVE it. As said before no question is stupid and for the most part I have never seen anyone made to feel stupid. Being a member of R2R has made this hobby even more enjoyable, thanks again.:)

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have learned so much from everyone here, as I am also a newby ( going on a year this month) I still do everything manually and right now I like it that way. I know everyday what is going on with my tank and to be honest I LOVE it. As said before no question is stupid and for the most part I have never seen anyone made to feel stupid. Being a member of R2R has made this hobby even more enjoyable, thanks again.:)

i suggest getting a cheap doser whenever you plan on going on vacation. dp4 works.

just make sure you dial it in a month in advance.

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy the l earning process, but sometimes there is too much and you go into situation overload..
Nitro

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back