How to preserve body for autopsy?

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn't really disease related but I just had a yellow tang pass away that is showing red streaks, it's the second one today with these symptoms. I have acces to a freezer, but would that affect the ease of autopsy? I've never done this before and I want to try it on this fish but I won't be able to autopsy it for about 5 more hours.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Agree with above; red streaks on a YT could be due to osmotic shock.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a batch of 4 that came Thursday. None of them showed any marks until about noon today. The smaller one that died only had a red mark just in front of its scalpel. The other larger one that I'm bringing home with me has streaks along the lateral line and the rear of the anal fin. The system that the tangs went into is kept at 1.019-1.020, the last time I checked the suppliers water it was 1.019. Of course they could have changed there salinity, so it could be osmotic shock. But I'm also looking for an excuse to autopsy a fish :p, so don't bust my bubble! I've never done it before so I'm weirdly nervous and excited. I put the body in the break room fridge until I get off work, I'm not crazy, right? o_O

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but years ago had a fish that died from an online store that would replace deed fish and they told me to rap it in a paper towel covered in salt

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm thinking about it, does anyone know of a diagram or guide for fish anatomy and organs that I can access online to use as a reference? lol it's been a couple years since I took that marine biology course back in high school :).

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm thinking about it, does anyone know of a diagram or guide for fish anatomy and organs that I can access online to use as a reference? lol it's been a couple years since I took that marine biology course back in high school :).

Below will get you started with a Zebrasoma

gross1.jpg
gross2.jpg

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is why I didn't become a vet or a marine biologist like I wanted when I was little. GROSS

Haha does that mean I shouldn't post the picture of the butcher job I just did? :p
For my first time ever dissecting something I don't think I did too bad, but I accidentally punctured the intestines right after I got them detached from the sides. I think I also kind of smushed everything in my attempts to get a cut started. Note to self: make sure the blade is sharp! The dissection kit I have has never been used but I ended up having to use one of my dads razor blades because my scalpel wasn't sharp enough.
@melypr1985 and all others who are squeamish, go no further!

Immediately after passing away.
IMG_2508.JPG

Right before dissection.
IMG_2510.JPG

After detaching the intestines and they busted :(.
IMG_2511.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blaaahhhhcck (gross sound in my throat that expresses disgust) I couldn't help but look! I was curious and honesty i would probably do the same if one of my fish died and I wasn't sure why. I would still be grossed out by though. It looks like all his organs were squished into the bottom of his body during autopsy.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GHsaltie Are those red marks under the skin (internal bleeding) or on top (infection)?

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 yeah I was rougher than I intended when first breaking through the epidermis, so the organs were kind of squished. The weird thing though was that the organs were jammed into the front of the abdomen, more in the head area if that makes sense. And I know I didn't squish them that much, I used some tweezers as best I could to hold onto the head to keep it still, so I can't figure out why the organs were so far up.

@GHsaltie Are those red marks under the skin (internal bleeding) or on top (infection)?
As far as I could tell the marks were under the skin. There were a couple other small spots that I found in the meat while cutting that had some blood in it, but I don't know if that was normal or not. It wasn't large amounts but enough that made it noticeable.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I could tell the marks were under the skin. There were a couple other small spots that I found in the meat while cutting that had some blood in it, but I don't know if that was normal or not. It wasn't large amounts but enough that made it noticeable.

Sounds like he bled out and the blood pooled under the skin. Maybe an internal organ ruptured or possibly from an internal growth?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble, nice necropsy links. I have been using very old charts but I imagine fish didn't change much. :D

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like he bled out and the blood pooled under the skin. Maybe an internal organ ruptured or possibly from an internal growth?

His was the quickest death I have seen as of yet. When I came into the store in the morning he was fine. Swimming around completely normal, no blemishes or marks, ate both mysis and nori. I think it was about 2pm or a little bit before I looked at him again, still normal. 3pm comes around and I'm checking up on everybody, he was on the bottom gasping and with the red marks. I net him out to euthanize him and he started having spasms, reminded me of a seizure, and then he passed away.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back