How to Quarantine

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
out of curiosity, if there was a coral dip that could potentially kill off ich tomonts, what would you use? I recently acquired a monstrous frogspawn colony and its way to big to put into my coral quarantine. Currently its in my second tank that already has ich because I was paranoid about infecting my large display with 7 acanthurus haha. but it takes up over half of my smaller tank so i'd like to move it to my larger tank.

Bayer? coral Rx? Revive? iodine?

Hi, as Mely said, no coral dip will get you rid of the Tomonts. Hydrogen Peroxide is great (I dip all my frags in it before going to the tank) but it will mostly kill algae and unwanted (as well as wanted) hitchickers. All bristleworms, crabs, copepods will drop right off.

But it will not kill Tomonts. Also do NOT dip in full strength Peroxide. You will need to dilute it. Justin Creadabel is the leading authority on H2O2 and if you are interested I can post a couple of slides with the correct concentrations for the different types of corals.

You can usually go higher than what he suggests as these are safety guidelines, but prob a best idea is to start here. I have sprayed zoas out of the water with straight Peroxide with no ill effects.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another subject, I finally got my hands on this [emoji847][emoji847][emoji847]

Image1481037353.227738.jpg

However, the dosage recommendation is pretty vague: dose 5ml per 4 gallons... that is it! No indication on what concentration level it equates to nor ramp up recommendations. A couple of questions:

1- do you know what concentration would this equate to?
2- is 2ppm the correct therapeutic level for Coppersafe?
3- what would be your recommended test kit for Coppersafe.

Many thanks!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. I can't remember, but it should get you close. I would total that up and figure out how many ml you'll end up with for your QT. Then divide that by 4 and dose that number four days in a row, testing every day to be sure you are on track.
2. Yes that's correct
3. API is what you need for coppersafe.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another subject, I finally got my hands on this [emoji847][emoji847][emoji847]

Image1481037353.227738.jpg

However, the dosage recommendation is pretty vague: dose 5ml per 4 gallons... that is it! No indication on what concentration level it equates to nor ramp up recommendations. A couple of questions:

Many thanks!
I believe it works out to around 0.3 ppm at the recommended dose. Hard to tell since it is at the low range of the copper test kit. The recommended dose seems to be based on using it continuously in a system, not for achieving a therapeutic level in your system. You will find that you need to add much more than recommended to achieve 2ppm.

mdlc805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this will be my first time quarantining fish. i was planning on buying small purple tang 1.5 to 2 inches and a pygmy angel from liveaquaria. i will be doing plan b the ttm. will it be ok to put them in 5 gallon buckets. they are food grade

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this will be my first time quarantining fish. i was planning on buying small purple tang 1.5 to 2 inches and a pygmy angel from liveaquaria. i will be doing plan b the ttm. will it be ok to put them in 5 gallon buckets. they are food grade

5 gallon buckets can work just fine for TTM. It does limit what you can see as far as their health and what condition they are in during the procedure, but it can be done. You need to take extra time to watch the fish and be sure that ammonia isn't becoming a problem.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mdlc805 While 5 gallon buckets may be fine, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if you used a pair of 10 gal tanks for that bio-load. Petco may still be running their $ per gallon sale. In addition to giving you more wiggle room when it comes to ammonia (tangs are pooping machines), an all glass aquarium affords you a 360 degree view of the fish to monitor breathing and look for dots/splotches on the fish.

Willy315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this fish Yesterday. He was eating fine at the store and also ate when
IMG_0262.JPG
I got him home. Then today he is barely swimming and has that red thing coming out of him. I know it's too late to save but was curious as to what happened to him.

Thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this fish Yesterday. He was eating fine at the store and also ate when
IMG_0262.JPG
I got him home. Then today he is barely swimming and has that red thing coming out of him. I know it's too late to save but was curious as to what happened to him.

Thanks
How did you acclimate him?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a closeup photo of the "red thing"? Might be a gram negative bacterial disease (very bad).

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I believe so. I mean I can't say for sure, but I would bet money on it...

Purse-string suture or just let it be? The fish looks pretty bad off, so I doubt it would survive surgery. o_O

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back