How to Quarantine

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you say praziquanteI and metronidazole is the way to go ???
and thank you for answering my ridiculous questions im really new to the quarantine tank all fish

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and is there a post or any direction that you can give using these meds??

CP is dosed at a rate of 40mg/gal. I use a digital scale to measure it. Also, CP is light sensitive so you only want to have ambient lighting while using it.

Prazi/metro doesn't remain active in the water for very long like CP. I would just buy API General Cure and follow the dosage instructions on the box: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16807

You will need to dose two rounds of General Cure (or 4 doses in total). The rounds need to be about a week apart, but you can safely mix General Cure with CP. Don't do the WCs or run carbon if you mix with CP; unless you plan to add back the amount of CP you are removing by doing the WC.

Another option that is popular to deworm a fish is to use liquid Prazipro. However, it is NOT SAFE to mix Prazipro with CP... so you'd have to treat with that either before or after.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but it says not a cure for ich

CP is a cure for ich and any other external parasite. Prazi/metro are primarily dewormers. You use all 3 together.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can and no I'll effects when mixing

None I've encountered thus far. Just be sure you are using powder metro/prazi.

No liquid medications should be mixed with CP, as those usually contain a solubilizing agent which can lead to a bacterial bloom when mixed with CP.

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so do I dose cp everyday ? sorry for the duplicate question but cant find the post you wrote

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP is a "one & done" medication - so you only dose it once.

You can have ambient room light, but no light directly over or near the aquarium.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest reading this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

If you choose ich eradication, build a fish trap using eggcrate, zip ties and fishing line for the trap door. Or use a bottle trap. Be patient - you'll catch them all eventually.
Could they treat their live rock by removing it and dipping it or putting it in some kind of solution? I am just wondering, I am new but it could seem like an option. Then should could put the fish in quarantine and sanitize the display tank.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could they treat their live rock by removing it and dipping it or putting it in some kind of solution? I am just wondering, I am new but it could seem like an option. Then should could put the fish in quarantine and sanitize the display tank.

Not without killing the good bacteria in the rock and having to recycle the tank. Parasites encyst upon rocks/substrate as tomonts, so they can't just be rinsed away. You'd have to soak with something like a bleach water solution to ensure they were eradicated.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back