How To: turn your old router into a wireless adapter using dd-wrt

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i see a lot of ppl wasting money on buying a wireless adapter to connect to their Controllers.. this step-by-step will show you how to create a wireless adapter with an extra home router.. basically you're replacing the router's firmware with dd-wrt's

Things you need:

Old/New router - see link for compatibility Router Database | www.dd-wrt.com (for this demonstration i'm using a Linksys WRT54G, you can also look on craigslist for a cheap used router)
Your current router (will act as the host)
Ethernet Cord

c1729f58.jpg

Tip: always a good idea to reset the router you're turning into the wireless adapter.. for most brands there is a reset button at the back...

e9c8f92c.jpg

Steps:
1 - Upgrading the router firmware to dd-wrt

1-1: Download dd-wrt software.. you can get the software by following this link.. after entering your router into it will give you a link to download the firmware..
1-2: Hook up your router to you computer using the Ethernet cable in and of the LAN ports (ports labeled 1-4)
1-3: Enter your routers address into your browser and enter the credentials.. it will be either http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.2.1
1-4: Navigate to the firmware update section; then click browse and select the downloaded firmware then click upgrade
NOTE: very important do not disrupt the upgrade process or you may brick your router..
1-5: After the upgrade/update the dd-wrt credentials are:
login: root
password: admin

here is some video's i found on youtube that may help also
YouTube - [How To] Install Custom Firmware DD-WRT on Linksys Router
YouTube - Installing DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54G v2 Router

2 - Configure the router to be a wireless adapter to receive a wireless signal

2-1: Now navigate to the management console via http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.2.1 depending on the model
2-2: log in using the dd-wrt credentials in step 1-5
2-3: Select the Wireless then Basic Settings tab
2-4: Change Wireless Mode to Client Bridge , change Wireless Network Name (SSID) to your wireless name of the host then press the Save Settings button
2-5: Select Wireless then Wireless Security tab
2-6: Enter wireless security settings of your wireless host and press the Save Settings button.
2-7: Select Setup then Basic Setup tab
2-8: Change Local IP Address to 192.168.1.2
2-9: Change Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0
2-10: Change Gateway to Host router’s Local IP 192.168.1.1
2-11: Change Local DNS to Host router’s Local IP 192.168.1.1
2-12: Click on save then apply settings.. the router may reboot..
2-13: Optional goto the Security tab and Disable Firewall and uncheck all boxes..
2-14: Goto Setup, Advance Routing change Operating Mode to Router
2-15: Save and Apply Settings and you're done..

YouTube - DD-WRT Router Client Bridge Tutorial (Simple and Easy)
YouTube - DD-WRT Client And Repeater Setup (you'll need to use the Client Bridge option in the 2nd 1/2 of the video)

Now you have a wireless/gaming adapter that only costs $20-$30 and can support up to 4 devices.. rather than spending $60-$120 on a dedicated adapter that only supports 1 device...

Last edited:

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, I have been thinking of buying a wireless gaming adapter to get my ACIII online but this seems even cheaper. I just checked an old router I had laying around and of course it isn't supported, going to call a few people to see if I can track down one that is compatible. So basically, after it is set-up you would have to plug it in to the controller itself, but would the ethernet cable still need to be plugged in?

I apologize for the, most likely, dumb questions but I am not very computer savvy. Thanks.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had better luck using this to flash my router/access points.
TFTP flash - DD-WRT Wiki

yeah but not too many ppl will be able/comfortable with TFTP

Very interesting, I have been thinking of buying a wireless gaming adapter to get my ACIII online but this seems even cheaper. I just checked an old router I had laying around and of course it isn't supported, going to call a few people to see if I can track down one that is compatible. So basically, after it is set-up you would have to plug it in to the controller itself, but would the ethernet cable still need to be plugged in?

I apologize for the, most likely, dumb questions but I am not very computer savvy. Thanks.

the dd-wrt router will act as a wireless Ethernet cable hooked up to your main router.. so all you have to do is place the devices into it and not have a very long cable running across you house..

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah but not too many ppl will be able/comfortable with TFTP

the dd-wrt router will act as a wireless Ethernet cable hooked up to your main router.. so all you have to do is place the devices into it and not have a very long cable running across you house..

True, I had to brick a router (or thought I bricked a router) before thinking about even trying tftp. On certain routers flashing it the normal route can render them useless a good percent of the time. The good news is that if it happens to you, you still have a good chance flashing it through tftp.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude this should definitely be a sticky post.. I am saving it when I get my controller in sometime in the near future. Thanks so much man!

Saltwatercoral2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I agree, this should be a sticky post. I was just looking at gaming adapters. Pretty sure I have an old linkskys somewhere around here.

sdsocal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job and read on this.

Not trying to be Captain Obvious, but I glanced over the thread and didn't see it mentioned that the "Home Router" to be used needs to be a Wireless Router. I know it seems obvious, but thought I would just mention it.

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Linksys WRT600n was crapping out alot on me and would lock up DDWRT is a great program to use. now my router is awesome once again. i seen my router go for $400 with DD WRT on it. crazy. i paid $100 for it used.
if you want to make your router faster then not only make the adapter with an old router, but i would DD WRT any router you have to unlock its potential.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^

Yes dd-wrt is much better at overall performance than the factory performance.

There is also another firmware package called tomato.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude this should definitely be a sticky post.. I am saving it when I get my controller in sometime in the near future. Thanks so much man!

Yes, I agree, this should be a sticky post. I was just looking at gaming adapters. Pretty sure I have an old linkskys somewhere around here.

Thanks guys. I submitted it to the mods. Hopefully they'll thinks it's worthy also.

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice write up. i was regretting having to drill a 1/2"hole behind my tv to run a ethernet cable from router to the xbox, then another behind my tank so i can hook up my controller. this is might be a good option for me to use in the future. thanks again.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice write up. i was regretting having to drill a 1/2"hole behind my tv to run a ethernet cable from router to the xbox, then another behind my tank so i can hook up my controller. this is might be a good option for me to use in the future. thanks again.

Yeah but even if you knew about doing this I would of still ran your xbox off Ethernet. Better performance for fragging newbs.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing to one of my many old Linksys routers. Watch Garage sales or Craigslist. As people start buying the newer N rated wireless they give away or sell super cheap their old (and bulletproof) linksys wireless G routers. DD-WRT has been on my two or three for the past 5 years at least.

Mods - Please sticky this post. It sure makes hooking up controllers to wireless way easier and unfortunately isn't very well known.

"fragging newbs" - HA HA! Is that a new coral fragging game from Xbox?? lol.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on doing this to hook my bluray player up to my wireless network. I am not a fan of having to run a 50ft cat5 to it everytime I want to see if there is a software update for it.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"fragging newbs" - HA HA! Is that a new coral fragging game from Xbox?? lol.

Lol sorry had salt on the brain. It should fracking up newbs......

And the old WRT G routers are bullet proof. And yes you could flash a N router to do this but it won't help much. The controller isn't a device that need plenty of bandwidth.

Gpkozmp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay a quick question about trying to understand this. I am wanting to do this however I am wondering, does this take the place for my RKL Net module?

In question I could mount this to my fish tank and this will relay the information to the internet via the router and I will be able to control everything just like if I bought the net module?

If I am wong could someone please correct me and help me undertand exactly what this would do for me. Thank you for your time.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay a quick question about trying to understand this. I am wanting to do this however I am wondering, does this take the place for my RKL Net module?

In question I could mount this to my fish tank and this will relay the information to the internet via the router and I will be able to control everything just like if I bought the net module?

If I am wong could someone please correct me and help me undertand exactly what this would do for me. Thank you for your time.

The RKL-NET requires a wired connection via Ethernet cable. This router would act as a wireless bridge and would plug into your RKL-NET so that you don't have to run an ethernet cable.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back