Hydor Koralia 1

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to find a powerhead to replace my modded MJ 900s so I thought I would join the bandwagon and get a Hydor Koralia 1.

The powerhead arrived today and was installed in seconds. The package from bigalsonline.com came in well packed with no issues (in a Reese's Pieces box :rolleyes: ). Everything went together in seconds and was put into the tank in seconds.

The powerhead output was as described, a v shaped flow. But what I didn't take into account was how poorly the powerhead could send its flow. Keep in mind I'm not the best with terms, but what I am talking about is the flow a certain distance from the pump. I placed the powerhead against the back wall of my tank and I could not feel any flow against my fingers at the front of the tank 18". Having a v shaped flow was great, but it seemed like I would have to place the pump right next to my corals to get the most out of it. This was frustrating because I was going to purchase either this pump or a nanostream for my tank. The weak strength of this 400gph pump is not what I thought it would be and I don't think I would buy another, for anything less than a nano.

I hope that this issue will go away during the break in process but I'm not too hopeful. I guess a nanostream is my next purchase.

colinadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review. I also ordered this pump, should have it from the good Doctors within a couple days. Luckily I am going to use this for a nano.

Just an FYI in case people don't know, the 2 & 3 models are dangerous and are being recalled due to the possibility of electrocution. Lots O' Threads on RC about this.

cardgenius

Paging Dr. Greenthumb!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your gonna need at least a K2 probably a K3 to be able to compare it to a Nanostream.

Because the flow is so wide, it doesnt travel very far. Ive got a 125g with 2 K4s in each corner and they dont reach the center. Im getting another 4 to put in the middle.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 6025 Nanostream and I had to take it out of my 40g cause it was way to much and after a week of the fish hiding in the rocks I figured it would be best to wait till I upgrade.....I really don't like the look of the Koralia, it's to big and bulky looking. I like the fact that the Nanostream is kinda large but tight package and don't reach out into the tank was much as the Koralia. But that is JMHO....

ct_vol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about ordering a couple of these for my 75g... I guess maybe not... Well, I was looking at the HK 3 or 4... Guess I'll stick with the 6025's, if I can ever find them in stock somewhere...

Marine Flora

marine planted tanks
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i saw someone mod the hydor koralia.
march11009.jpg

i have the koralia 4 on one of my prop tanks and is very pleased with it :)

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just mod the MJ900! Should be able to get up to about 1500gph and only cost ya 5-10 bucks ;)

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the things I didn't like about it seeing it at the LFS was the wide openings that are in the surrounding fence. I'm sure fish wouldn't swim into it but snails don't worry about current and can crawl into the prop area......

jafoca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fins - There are two reasons the koralia 1 will not compare well to the nano stream:

1. Flow is a more broad, dispersed pattern (as you know). It is like < instead of = (with maxijet being -)
2. The Koralia 1 is rated at 400gph where the 6025 is rated at 600+ gph

I will be installing two on my prop tank tomorrow. Dispersed flow is what I really want, so everything gets hit. I will let you all know what I think.

Absinthe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?

I have heard that you really need to go for the bigger models to get good flow in big tanks. K3s and K4s.

They seem to get good reviews though.

jafoca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got the K1's and added them to my prop tank. I am happy with them, but a bit fusterated at the same time. They work as advertised, broad v shaped flow pattern, and are about as strong as I expected too.

The problem is that I can not figure out a good way to position them in my tank to cover all the areas I want with flow without blasting specific areas. My tanks has a 36X 15 footprint, and with my racks how they are I can not position the hydors optimally. I think I have figured it out as best I can, but it is not quite what I wanted.

Anyhow, I am happy with my hydor purchase. The mount is both good and bad, the magnet/suction combination is great, but the ball swivle thingie is not too great. The pumps make no noise (which is something I can not say about my nanostream).

I think if I would have designed my racks with these pumps in mind I would be much more happy with my frag tank's setup.

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 2 in my 15g & I ould have radher used the 1. It is hard to positon w/o wither blasting water off the top, or disturbing the sand. my friend had bought a case of 2s & 4s & got a great price on the 2. IMO, for larger tanks, you'd need the 4. It is a real eyesore in the 15g but I just have a Mantis shrimp & propogated RBTAs in there.I don't think the Mantis comes out as much as it used to w/the current in there now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back