I am new to chalice corals give me the chalice 101 lesson!

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check with Scott (SD actuary)... I think he is/was using LED's on his substantial chalice collection, and IIRC wasn't happy with them.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single no name chalice, and it is doing great under leds, for about 3 months now, its pretty much the same as it was under mh

Blake11rebel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since Ive switched from t5s ive had alot of new growth almost a quarter of an inch on my hollywood stunner. Im running 120w 3w leds run at 2w 50/50 rb whites. I think it all has to do with how you acclimate the corals to the new light. Im very happy with my results so far

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every chalice is going to react differently to LED's. From my experience the majority, I would say 80% are not their happiest under LED's.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME the more concentrated the better (ie if it'll eat pellets it'll get more nutrition in less volume than, say, mysis. Not all will eat pellets, though, IME.

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else ever had this experience? I have a lot of hermits as part of my cuc and was thinking of getting a chalice.

I had one head for my chalice. He wasn't given the opportunity to show his intentions.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I don't have one yet, I would love to get some. I have a mixed light set-up. My tank is a 125g /6'L and have 2 AI Sol Blues and 2 - 36" T5s (1 super blue and 1 white 50/50) in the middle of my tank. I Just couldn't afford 4 (which I would need due to the center brace) AI's and put the T5s between them. This has worked out pretty good however with more placement options ;) I love Chalices but I too have been nervous about introducing them to my tank. Can't wait to hear more :)

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you guys say low light.. I know that means low in the tank.. But does it also have an effect when referring to kelvin rating light?

I have a 20k MH... Wondering if I should switch to a 14k or 15k for better chalice growth?

Thanks!

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along as I'm considering growing out some chalices in a small frag tank under a single Sol Blue. Initial settings are going to be around 20-30% on all channels though. Hung about 14" awl.

SmokeyCFH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you guys feed though? just direct feed? do you turn pumps off, stopping all water flow? I know some people feed by placing a cup over some of their animals to keep the food concentrated over them, or do you just leave everything on and put the food in?

I have low light, low flow on 2 Hollywood stunner chalices and a Miami hurricane. Since I started feeding H20 life coral food mixed with zooplex the miami hurricane has gotten better color and my stunners have decent growth. I direct feed without turning anything off but I make sure the chalices get plenty, I go over them three times just to be sure lol

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great stuff keep it coming!

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone that is new at chalices should consider starting with one of the more hardy pieces that have been in captivity for a while, like the Original Mummy Eye or the Miami Hurricane. They are relatively cheap, beautiful, and are hard to kill. When you feel comfortable with how they react and what parts of your tank are good for them collect more :)

ColaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I'm collecting higher end chalices, I'm slowly getting rid of my hermits. It's a shame, coz they are such a great part of the clean up crew. I'm going with mostly snails now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back