I can't grow zoas for the life of me!

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep the algae growth at bay with high nutrients in the water?

With a clean up crew, algae grazing fish, and not keeping lights on too long. Also, when they say nutrients, it not high. NO3 less than 10 and PO4 less than .1. And those numbers are higher or lower depending on what works for their tank.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice from @saltyfilmfolks, per usual :)

What are you seeing happen to your frags? They definitely prefer nutrients in the water, but I haven't lost frags to low nutrients. They usually just don't grow.

they melt and turn brownish

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have fish in the tank? How many polyps, on average, do the zoa frags have? It takes longer for smaller frags to grow. At least that has been my experience.

Yes a pair of clowns, but they are harmless they are afraid of everything. and the frags are always so small!!! about 1-3 heads!!!

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No nutrients needed in my tank!
I've had my tank very healthy with undetectable nutrients for years and years.
There must be something else happening.
Perhaps the tank is too young or something like that.
"Dirty water" is a myth, my friends!
Grandis.

My tank is has been established for around a month, but when would be the right time?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have been trying 1 month so far and have gone through 5 frags. Weekly water changes, leds are on for around 6 hours
less water changes = more nitrates
more fish = more fish poop = more nitrates
IMO I would up the light cycle to at least 9. Mines on for 10-12 depending on time of the year.

iramack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had no luck with them in my 45 gallon mixed reef...............Until NOW! It is 13 months up and running. I placed a new colony on the sand bed in the back right corner where it gets low/mod flow and moderately bright indirect light from my twin Kessil 160's. Seems to be doing fine so far. I am hopeful that it is the age and stability of the tank/water that is helping them to thrive. They have been in for a month or so now.

Stay tuned.

Steve

Tooch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a pair of clowns, but they are harmless they are afraid of everything. and the frags are always so small!!! about 1-3 heads!!!

My zoa frags grew at a stubbornly slow pace for about two years in my 75g with T5 lights. I tried a bunch of different combos with ATI bulbs. 6 months ago I made the switch to SB Reefbrite LED's, and the zoas, along with the other corals, have exploded growth. All other parameters I kept the same, purposely, to see if lighting change can make the difference.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zoa frags grew at a stubbornly slow pace for about two years in my 75g with T5 lights. I tried a bunch of different combos with ATI bulbs. 6 months ago I made the switch to SB Reefbrite LED's, and the zoas, along with the other corals, have exploded growth. All other parameters I kept the same, purposely, to see if lighting change can make the difference.

I have a kessil a80, but if I were to switch my lighting what would be the best choices?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back