I can't grow zoas for the life of me!

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience tanks less then 3 months old,was having trouble getting frags to grow.to clean water frags of zoas wasn't doing to hot either. Then I let some stupid asteria get in my system.they was eating my zoas at night.I don't think there getting enough light hrs are u acclimatin them?are your lights up full blast ?I spot feed my zoas a lot, I neglect the tank my zoas are in more, as in don't clean glass filters and kind of ignore tank more. It's a frag grow out tank

1487870743649-918339930.jpg

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience tanks less then 3 months old,was having trouble getting frags to grow.to clean water frags of zoas wasn't doing to hot either. Then I let some stupid asteria get in my system.they was eating my zoas at night.I don't think there getting enough light hrs are u acclimatin them?are your lights up full blast ?I spot feed my zoas a lot, I neglect the tank my zoas are in more, as in don't clean glass filters and kind of ignore tank more. It's a frag grow out tank

1487870743649-918339930.jpg

My lights were dimmed and they were drip acclimated.

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If tanks young give it time to mature .if it's been running for a while maybe water is just to clean .maybe phosphates are to high

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may take me a month t ok adjust my lights back to normal after putting frags in. Going from halide to led or led to t5 it's stress on em

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Rastas. I guess they are slow growers. Had 4 polyps when I bought them 9 months ago. Grew 3 more up till December. Then I was recommended Reefroids. They say shut your pumps off for 1/2 an hour to target feed them, and use a whole 1/4tsp. Well I use half that and shoot it in front of the powerhead. Here is the thing I have gathered for info. Zooxanthellae is brown algae that covers your coral and uses photosynthesis to feed the coral. I just seen a video from BRS saying that zooxanthellae does the highest amount of photosynthesis during dawn & dusk. Not high noon peak hours. So feeding your corals with the light/photosynthesis at 10am and 4pm hours is when you should give it the best light. I switched it up already. In 2 days of light change instead of running my ATI BLUE+, CORAL+, BLUE, TRUE ACTINIC from 1pm-5pm. I now run all 4 from 9:30am-11am and 3:30pm-5:30pm. Run the 2 BLUE+ 11am-3pm. Reefroids after I feed the fish with a turkey baster in front of powerhead. Since I started using Reefroids the Rasta went from 7 polyps to now 13! 3 months. Fire and Ice blew up too. Had about 5 or 6. It grew onto my live rock and now I have 3 frags. The original has about 15-17 now. pH matters to corals for health & growth. Mine is at 8.0 as well. I have heard pH does not matter to much for zoanthids. Hope this helps.

20170223_165918.jpg

20170223_170050.jpg

20170223_170128.jpg

20170223_170239.jpg

20161115_204454.jpg

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Rastas. I guess they are slow growers. Had 4 polyps when I bought them 9 months ago. Grew 3 more up till December. Then I was recommended Reefroids. They say shut your pumps off for 1/2 an hour to target feed them, and use a whole 1/4tsp. Well I use half that and shoot it in front of the powerhead. Here is the thing I have gathered for info. Zooxanthellae is brown algae that covers your coral and uses photosynthesis to feed the coral. I just seen a video from BRS saying that zooxanthellae does the highest amount of photosynthesis during dawn & dusk. Not high noon peak hours. So feeding your corals with the light/photosynthesis at 10am and 4pm hours is when you should give it the best light. I switched it up already. In 2 days of light change instead of running my ATI BLUE+, CORAL+, BLUE, TRUE ACTINIC from 1pm-5pm. I now run all 4 from 9:30am-11am and 3:30pm-5:30pm. Run the 2 BLUE+ 11am-3pm. Reefroids after I feed the fish with a turkey baster in front of powerhead. Since I started using Reefroids the Rasta went from 7 polyps to now 13! 3 months. Fire and Ice blew up too. Had about 5 or 6. It grew onto my live rock and now I have 3 frags. The original has about 15-17 now. pH matters to corals for health & growth. Mine is at 8.0 as well. I have heard pH does not matter to much for zoanthids. Hope this helps.

20170223_165918.jpg

20170223_170050.jpg

20170223_170128.jpg

20170223_170239.jpg

20161115_204454.jpg

Wow very cool pics and great info! Thanks I will try

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fill up the glass with your tank water. While the Reefroids are all kicked up in the water in the glass. Suck it right back up with the turkey baster and squeeze it in the tank. I have never washed that shot glass. Just rinsed it with warm water every week or 2.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better phone pics ☺ The green an yellow skirt had 4 polyps when I got it 3 months ago. Purple an green was in bad light and dead spot. Now after Reefroids, better flow, and lighting wow what a difference. Fruitloops were faded BAD and 4 polyps. Now 9 and color is coming back after reefroids. Proof is in the pudding. Post some pics of your stuff man. I love zoas.

20170223_180336.jpg

20170223_180345.jpg

20170223_180437.jpg

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better phone pics [emoji5] The green an yellow skirt had 4 polyps when I got it 3 months ago. Purple an green was in bad light and dead spot. Now after Reefroids, better flow, and lighting wow what a difference. Fruitloops were faded BAD and 4 polyps. Now 9 and color is coming back after reefroids. Proof is in the pudding. Post some pics of your stuff man. I love zoas.

20170223_180336.jpg

20170223_180345.jpg

20170223_180437.jpg

Sadly, I don't have any survivors hence the title. This tank is new, I am totally going to use reefroids but when will I know when my tank is established? My clowns are doing great. The sad part is... zoas are my favorite coral!!!!

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using? If this is your first tank and its a month old I really doubt the notion that all levels are 0.

Kessil lighting is more than enough for zoas.

Tank may just be too new, last thing I would recommend you start doing is dosing random things.. zoas definitely do not need iodine dosing or especially using a coral food like reef roids.

Focus on keeping a new tank stable, probably the best advice out there, don't rush coral it tends to react poorly.

Fercho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro, its much simpler than what some make it seem.
Just let your tank mature for a few more months and while it is maturing raise your No3 between 3-5 and you will not only see your zoas make it. They will multiply and other corals will also apreciate it.
Also have some barely detectable Po4, like about .03 and that will do it.
I did this and all my corals started flourishing. Didnt dosed any of the "majic" bottles. Just No3 and Alk, Ca & Mg to keep those big 3 params at their ideal levels.

If you dose No3 make sure you test it every day to make sure you dont overdose.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using? If this is your first tank and its a month old I really doubt the notion that all levels are 0.

Kessil lighting is more than enough for zoas.

Tank may just be too new, last thing I would recommend you start doing is dosing random things.. zoas definitely do not need iodine dosing or especially using a coral food like reef roids.

Focus on keeping a new tank stable, probably the best advice out there, don't rush coral it tends to react poorly.

I am using API, my fish dont eat much, that is why there is really nothing showing up

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 systems, all have Zoas. The best growths and color of all 4 are coming from 2 nitrates and t5. My frag tank ran zero. My dirtiest tank is 20. If you are using carbon or gfo with those numbers (zero) stop immediately.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let your tank mature for a few more months and while it is maturing raise your No3 between 3-5 and you will not only see your zoas make it. They will multiply and other corals will also apreciate it.
I did this and all my corals started flourishing. Didnt dosed any of the "majic" bottles. Just No3 and Alk, Ca & Mg to keep those big 3 params at their ideal levels.

The last thing I want to do is dose. So the more natural simple the better, thanks man for the advice

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

please explain over dosing No3

Austin S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same problem. I thought these were the easiest corals to grow. Put several in my tank at about 2 months after setup. They withered so I threw them in the back corner so I didn't have to look at them. After a few months they really multiplied. Once then my tank has matured and I now have a nice zoa island display right up front. I think this reminds us of what we already know. They like lower light and flow, higher nutrients and can grow very slowly until established.

IMG_1679.JPG

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same problem. I thought these were the easiest corals to grow. Put several in my tank at about 2 months after setup. They withered so I threw them in the back corner so I didn't have to look at them. After a few months they really multiplied. Once then my tank has matured and I now have a nice zoa island display right up front. I think this reminds us of what we already know. They like lower light and flow, higher nutrients and can grow very slowly until established.

IMG_1679.JPG

Wow great picture! How did you know that they were still alive?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back