I gots the Ich.....I think.

BMMMW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. My tank is about 2 years old now and I have been lucky until now. I think my purple tang has Ich.

The 3 main things that changed in the past 10 days are I added an orange peel angel,did a water change, and had literally a pound of sponge that was built up in the pipes blow out the return and into the display.

The Purple Tang has been in the tank for 6 months before this.

Unfortunately, quarantine is not ideal at the time, but possible.

Today I noticed this. Please advise.

Thanks!

20170208_163921.jpg
20170208_163919.jpg
20170208_163917.jpg
20170208_163914.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look to be ich. The good news is he is a very fat and (otherwise) healthy looking fish. The bad news is that to get rid of the parasite in your display you'll have to remove all the fish to QT, treat and leave the display fallow for 76 days.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. My tank is about 2 years old now and I have been lucky until now. I think my purple tang has Ich.

The 3 main things that changed in the past 10 days are I added an orange peel angel,did a water change, and had literally a pound of sponge that was built up in the pipes blow out the return and into the display.

The Purple Tang has been in the tank for 6 months before this.

Unfortunately, quarantine is not ideal at the time, but possible.

Today I noticed this. Please advise.

Thanks!

20170208_163921.jpg
20170208_163919.jpg
20170208_163917.jpg
20170208_163914.jpg
Well neither the water change nor the sponge issue caused the ich. If that new angel wasn't quarantined before going into the DT, you have your answer. I know it's hindsight now, but quarantining and treating one new fish is a lot easier than what you now face,: treating and quarantining ALL fish and leaving the DT fallow for 76 days.

OP
OP
BMMMW

BMMMW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the info. Now, just to be clear, I cannot treat the whole tank in the display? This is FOWLR.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the info. Now, just to be clear, I cannot treat the whole tank in the display? This is FOWLR.
Not if you have any snails, hermits, or other clean up crew inverts. Also live rock and live sand can absorb some of the medications making it difficult to keep the medication at therapeutic levels. Additionally, worms and other critters living in the rocks and sand will perish and can cause ammonia spikes.

OP
OP
BMMMW

BMMMW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so in that case, if I have to quarantine 9 fish, do I necessarily have to put them all into a different 125+ gallon tank? Can someone please provide a link on where to start?

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The situation is unfortunate but one good thing is there is a wealth of information, from very knowledgeable people here, that can and will help you to deal with this properly.

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so in that case, if I have to quarantine 9 fish, do I necessarily have to put them all into a different 125+ gallon tank? Can someone please provide a link on where to start?

I started the same thread a month ago because of my blue hippo. I'm setting up a 40 gallon breeder I got off Craigslist now. Hope to have my 9 guys transferred in the next week or so.

Just some food for thought, only my blue hippo showed Ich. I moved him to a 10 gallon and copper treated with success. But 3 weeks later my yellow tang in my DT finally showed signs too. Funny they disappeared after a couple days, but it shows Ich is in the tank just waiting for an opportunity.

OP
OP
BMMMW

BMMMW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the help. What is the most economical way to keep predator fish all together in one quarantine tank? I feel PVC pipes won't be enough to keep them from fighting, but maybe then it will.

OP
OP
BMMMW

BMMMW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the same thread a month ago because of my blue hippo. I'm setting up a 40 gallon breeder I got off Craigslist now. Hope to have my 9 guys transferred in the next week or so.

Just some food for thought, only my blue hippo showed Ich. I moved him to a 10 gallon and copper treated with success. But 3 weeks later my yellow tang in my DT finally showed signs too. Funny they disappeared after a couple days, but it shows Ich is in the tank just waiting for an opportunity.

Thank you, but I am confused. Did you eventually QT all the fish in one tank or one at a time as needed in a 40G Breeder?

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's very common for the spots to disappear after a couple of days. It just means that the adult ich have dropped off unto the substrate. Here each one is preparing to release about 200 babies. When these babies become free swimming, all hell can break loose.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the help. What is the most economical way to keep predator fish all together in one quarantine tank? I feel PVC pipes won't be enough to keep them from fighting, but maybe then it will.

The key is plenty of hiding places. Lots of pvc elbows so that everybody has a place to call their own. Watch ammonia since preds tend to eat and poop big. The link posted is full of great info on how to get started.

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, but I am confused. Did you eventually QT all the fish in one tank or one at a time as needed in a 40G Breeder?

I put the blue hippo in tank first to treat because of my LFS advice. I think they were trying to keep me from the shock of removing all my fish. But now I'm going to move them all together into the 40g to treat and leave my DT fallow for 76 days.

OP
OP
BMMMW

BMMMW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way I can QT just the purple tang and see if that works? Or is that a waste of time?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way I can QT just the purple tang and see if that works? Or is that a waste of time?

If you plan to put him back in the display that he came from after, it's a waste of time. He will only get re-infected once returned.

Back