I have no idea how much to feed my fish they just keep eating and eating

OhCheezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're little pigs! All they do is eat and poop and follow me around the tank for more food. I've been keeping to that rule where the food should be gone within two minutes. They eat everything, so after the two minutes are up, I give them more food. They eat until their bellies look like they're about to pop. I feel like I am overfeeding sometimes, but water levels are within normal range.
Also, I have one hippo tang and a yellow tang both about half the size of my palm. My seaweed clip finally got delivered today and I was wondering how much of the nori sheet to put in for the two of them each day.
Also have 3 clownfish and a damsel but they are not interested in the seaweed. My two cleaner shrimp are though.
IMG_3709.jpg
IMG_3710.jpg

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to feed heavily like probably one to two sheets of seaweed a day usually one and like a cube of mysis or two spread out throughout the day.. i feed like this because i feel its not right to limit food to 1 time per day and i rely heavily on my equipment to take out the nutrients from all the food...and i feed most days

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reef fish are equipped for small frequent meals rather than one large one. I find that feeding what they will consume in 30 seconds, but feeding that 3-5x's a day works well.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish do pretty well eating pile of food. They really do not need much to survive. However, feeding a variety of food seems to help. Tangs need vegetable based foods.

The major issue with "over feeding" is not making the fish ill. It leads to piles of nitrates and phosphates in the tank. Those nutrients will lead to algae blooms. So you need a counteracting system of nutrient exports: water changes, skimming, carbon dosing with ample skimming, macro algae in the sump, filter socks cleaned early and often, running GFO, or other methods.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs need vegetable based foods.
This is true. Tangs also need meat based food, especially younger ones. As tangs age they normally shift from meat to vegetables but will always do best when offered both.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over feeding your fish actually can harm your fish. Same with over feeding people. It's one of the causes of fatty liver disease.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My seaweed clip finally got delivered today and I was wondering how much of the nori sheet to put in

I would aim to have some on offer 24/7, but don't put in more at a time than they will all eat in 1 day as it will start to rot once it's been in the tank that long.

Replenishing multiple times a day is OK if you're around....but stocking a day's worth won't cause problems if you aren't around.

Back