I think I may have found Desert Foxes locally!!!! (pics)

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32a61356.jpg

04471a74.jpg

You aren't going to believe me, but I got those for $10 from a guy who is breaking his tank down locally. They are HUGE, with a double skirt, a light purple ring, neon green mouths, and greenish disks. The skirts were just getting color when I bought them, am waiting to see what ciolors they turn!!!

I spent $80 total (And... I'm broke :lol: ), and also got:

a blue/green crocea to replace Benny (Killed by a rockslide may he RIP),

890e7c62.jpg

a pineapple brain,

71593dbf.jpg

a encrusting green guy I don't know what he is
neongreenguy.jpg

and some yellow cloves.

Woohoo, from Samurai Jack and me!
mandarinfinup.jpg

:lol:
Laurie

Shultz

Spiderman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Mandarin, do you have a pair or just the one?

Cheers Shelton.

OP
OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the one- since it is a 55 gallon, I was afraid to have 2 since they would be in competition for food. I have lots of LR int he tank, but I didn't want to push my luck!

:D
Laurie

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice Desert Fox.. let us know what they look like in couple of months.. :)

Reefwifey

Zoa Black Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great stuff! I have a few zoas that look just like yours that I'm waiting to see if they get speckly. I love Samurai Jack, he rocks!

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe I've got something that is popular and didn't even know it. I had seen so many pics of the Desert Fox, I thought I was seeing completely different morphs. Of course, mine have gone through three changes, so I should have known. Cool. I have some that I've had for a while that don't develop (or haven't, anyway) the speckles, despite being over halfway up the tank depth, some that have the speckles and now some that are starting to show the pink ring around the inside of the skirt. All have lost the pink ring at some point, but pick it back up under good lighting (PC's don't do it...). I'm excited, now. I am also seeing a possibility of Pink Stardust PE's mixed in with my Chameleon PE's:).

OP
OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
::The Samurai thanks you, whachaaaa!" Ok, maybe I've watched a few too many cartoons with Alyssa. :lol:

I can't wait for them to color up too... I keep trying to get more patient, but it never works.

Cool, GFlat- I love it when stuff changes into stuff that I wanted. Kinda like God's way of surprising us for all the hard work on the tank, imo...

:D
Laurie

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gflat65 said:
I can't believe I've got something that is popular and didn't even know it.
Yep, that's how Frank tells it. He had some nondescript zoa colony that he left in his tank like forever. He dug it out one day and it looked kinda nice. He traded a bunch to Rommel who thought they were awesome :)

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gflat65 said:
I can't believe I've got something that is popular and didn't even know it. I had seen so many pics of the Desert Fox, I thought I was seeing completely different morphs. Of course, mine have gone through three changes, so I should have known. Cool. I have some that I've had for a while that don't develop (or haven't, anyway) the speckles, despite being over halfway up the tank depth, some that have the speckles and now some that are starting to show the pink ring around the inside of the skirt. All have lost the pink ring at some point, but pick it back up under good lighting (PC's don't do it...). I'm excited, now. I am also seeing a possibility of Pink Stardust PE's mixed in with my Chameleon PE's:).

don't mean to hijact the thread.. but where are the pics.. LoLz...

waiting.. :)

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go... I have trouble getting good shots because they are under 12K 175W, but here are some deecnt shots.

I feel pretty sure these are going to turn into Desert Foxes because I have seen the progression. They start like these (notice the speckles-they seem to have them under low light and usually show less green initially).
Desert-Fox.jpg

This is a closeup of one of the polyps with a faint pink ring starting to form around the inside of the oral disc (Phase 2). It is a little more noticeable in real life, but not much more right now. A few polyps show a little more pink ring than this one.
Potential-desert-fox.jpg

Phase 3-after they've colored up a little, they start to look like this.
7545e620.jpg

Phase 4-, they pick up the speckles (if they don't start with them). These were much more speckled before I had to put them under PC's. Now they are back under the 250W DE 10K's and are coloring back up (forgive the bryopsis-tis the last of a dying racial entity in my 125;)).
Desert-Fox-125.jpg

FWIW, I have some (like phase 3) that don't develop the speckles.

Here is my favorite new find. I paid for it, but am very happy with the return:).
A couple of top downs under 12K 175W of the Chameleon PE's and Pink Stardust PE's. The Pink Stardust PE's are the darker colored oral discs. You can make out the pink in the pics if you click your heels together three times and say pigmanpigmanpigman.
Chameleon-PEs-02.jpg

Chameleon-PEs-01.jpg

These are some new ones I got from a semi local reefer. I think they are Caribbean, but only a non-scientifically based notion brings me to this guess...
Teal-grey-zoas.jpg

And last, but certainly not least, a top down of the 'RPE's' (blue centered). They look pretty orange from the top (once again under 12K 175W)...
RPEs-1.jpg

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some before (lost them when I changed out rock). They came from the same place because they were on the same man made rock... They started large like that, but under my 3 suns (250W AB 10K DE's), they shrank and lightened up considerably. I'm hoping they'll pop out of the sand at some point (engineer goby isn't very civil when it comes to corals on the sand). I plan to put these in the 120 under (2)-175W MH and VHO's. I ordered some Iwasaki bulbs (15K's), so hopefully, they'll stay that size... The coenenchyme are ~2" and the disc is between the size of a nickel and a quarter (closer to nickle).

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told they are a ittle yellow, but I plan to run VHO's too (to be added with next months budget). The 12K 175W Sunburst and VHO's are almost too blue, but I think the 15K is a more crisp blue, so hopefully it'll work. The fact that I don't get the money until next month gives em a chance to see what i think of the 15K's before buying the VHO's.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back