I think my tank is dying!?!?!?

Sean Shimer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at my tank an I noticed my zoanthids and polys are fewer in numbers as well as not expanding like they used too. If it was just them then I would take them out and dip them but it's not. My caroline algae has started to turn a dusty grey color in a few places. All my parameters are good. I'm going to be doing a water change tonight and again this weekend to see if it helps and upload a picture when I get home.

I did check the corals for any pests but found nothing. They were growing just fine till this started to happen. There have been no new additions for over a month and it was a clown, black ray goby, and pistol shrimp

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this, can you tell us more about your tank/set up, i.e. Size, lighting, how long it's been running for starters and actual parameters would be helpful too.
#reefsquad

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you measuring salinity?

Size of the tank....lighting?

OP
OP
Sean Shimer

Sean Shimer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Calcium 420
Ppm KH 107.4
API tests

Hydrometer reading at 1.026
Tank is 55 standard, LED lights on from 9-6 (9hours), I don't have RODI but I use Distilled, temp 79*

OP
OP
Sean Shimer

Sean Shimer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a Kenya tree in there and it's now starting to grow and it's been in there as long as the zoa

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
step one: (always) calm down and dont do anything rash...thats when problems happen. (bigger problems)
Im sure its something simple like nutrients, none of your other parameters are out of whack. another thing to look into, if my conversion is correct, your alk is only at 6. Look into bringing that up (107 ppm is 6 dkh-I think).
Step one, start feeding (just feed you fish, maybe do a dusting of reef roids over your polyped corals) your tank to get the nutrients up and at the same time, slowly bring your alk up as well. (you dont need to dose, maybe just make up a 10% wc with salt for coral-ie, coral pro from red sea makes up to 11 dkh so if you did a small water change with that salt it would be an easier form of dosing that you can slowly control. Im not a fan of dosing...something can go wrong lol) if you have a skimmer you can also take that offline for a bit or run it half as long as you normally would. that will slowly increase nutrients.

OP
OP
Sean Shimer

Sean Shimer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've noticed my skimmer isn't collecting much anymore so I'll feed my normal and do a 10% wc with turning the skimmer off for the rest of the week. I'm getting a bucket of Salinity this weekend since that's what my lfs carries so I'll try another 10% with that Saturday

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say hydrometer.....might I assume a swing-arm hydrometer. They are highly inaccurate. Recommend a refractometer....they are fairly inexpensive on ebay or amazon.

What LED's do you have?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct on the undetectable nutrients and low ALK.
Turning skimmer off to keep nutrients in your water and drop some flake or pellet food in your filter sock.
I will tag @Mini Coop in here as she had similar problems last week with nutrients.
Now your coralline turning grey is the result of your low ALK long term

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are generally bullet proof, be interesting to see pics, are you sure it is not a predator that you haven't seen?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct on the undetectable nutrients and low ALK.
Turning skimmer off to keep nutrients in your water and drop some flake or pellet food in your filter sock.
I will tag @Mini Coop in here as she had similar problems last week with nutrients.
Now your coralline turning grey is the result of your low ALK long term
:D been a while since Ive seen you around!

OP
OP
Sean Shimer

Sean Shimer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are: WIFI Dimmable165W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum For Live Fish Tank Reef Coral

from PopularGrow and I have two over my tank

IMG_1587.JPG

My salinity image.jpg
The zoanthids under white light so you can see the grey where the caroline algae used to be
IMG_1583.JPG

And the Kenya which is looking not so happy under my normal day lights
IMG_1586.JPG

I have my mixing bucket going so it'll be ready in 4-5 hours for a water change

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back