I thought it was red slime...

beadlocked450r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have some zoa frags on my frag rack in the frag tank and they got this red algea looking stuff and a small bout with byropsis but what is the red stuff? These 2 pictures are right after a 20min dip in peroxide.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like red hair alage to me. Doesn't grow as fast and take over like the green stuff. Peroxide should beat it back though.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do i get rid of it
The peroxide dip should kill the stuff on the plug. If it didn't, you can use a dropper and put some straight 3% peroxide on the algae. Might need to treat a few times to fully get it.

OP
OP
beadlocked450r

beadlocked450r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well i just got done a 2 week dosing regimen of dosing tank with 12oz per day of peroxide to get rid of some cyano and this stuff is still here and the cyano is coming back

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well i just got done a 2 week dosing regimen of dosing tank with 12oz per day of peroxide to get rid of some cyano and this stuff is still here and the cyano is coming back
Yeah, dosing the tank isn't nearly as effective as direct application. If you can, just pull the plugs and put a few drops on the algae straight up.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 days is the minimum of treating for cyanobacteria dosed every 12 hours. Dosages would have to be much higher to do a tank treatment for algaes

OP
OP
beadlocked450r

beadlocked450r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 days is the minimum of treating for cyanobacteria dosed every 12 hours. Dosages would have to be much higher to do a tank treatment for algaes
Thats what i did, i did 6oz 2x aday for 14days, i had a diatom outbreak and the red slime started to come back and still coming plus this crap

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So i have some zoa frags on my frag rack in the frag tank and they got this red algea looking stuff and a small bout with byropsis but what is the red stuff? These 2 pictures are right after a 20min dip in peroxide.
Red wire brush, honestly a 2 3 minute dip of peroxide will prob kill this stuff off. Even if you leave the frag out of water for about 15 minutes, itll also die off. Turns a florescent orange upon death, not sure if itll grow back. Good thing is hermits tangs and snails eat this stuff

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have some zoa frags on my frag rack in the frag tank and they got this red algea looking stuff and a small bout with byropsis but what is the red stuff? These 2 pictures are right after a 20min dip in peroxide.QUOTE]

You said you did 20 min dip? What concentration did you use? Are the zoas doing fine now?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back