Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans)

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reynaldoramon Very likely the beginnings of a secondary bacterial infection, which is quite common in fish with a preexisting parasitic infestation such as ich. I would add a broad spectrum antibiotic (exs. Kanaplex, Furan-2) to the mix. Or you can combine Kanaplex, Furan-2 and Metroplex for a very powerful antibiotic cocktail.
Oh I guess I should've asked this too...it's safe to start these antibiotics at any stage during cupramine treatment? Just started yesterday slowly. How slowly? I have a 20 gallon. Only dosed .5 ml instead of the 1 ml per 10.5 on day one. Gave another .5 ml today. So tomorrow doing another .5 ml. So I should be to lower therapeutic levels tomorrow. Then I can start my 30 day countdown.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is metroplex one of the ones that they eat? Or does it dissolve in the water?

You can administer it both ways, however dosing directly in water is always the preferred way unless you have reason to believe it is an internal infection.

Oh I guess I should've asked this too...it's safe to start these antibiotics at any stage during cupramine treatment?

Yes, you can safely mix all three with copper based meds.

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a yellow coris wrasse be treated in QT the same way with no I'll effects?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a yellow coris wrasse be treated in QT the same way with no I'll effects?

Do you mean can you use Kanaplex, Furan-2 and Metroplex on a yellow coris? I've used all 3 on a red coris before so it should be fine. Just take care not to OD any med with wrasses.

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean can you use Kanaplex, Furan-2 and Metroplex on a yellow coris? I've used all 3 on a red coris before so it should be fine. Just take care not to OD any med with wrasses.
Actually I meant copper. Sorry for the confusion. Yellow coris and copper treatment ok?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I meant copper. Sorry for the confusion. Yellow coris and copper treatment ok?

Yes, but ramp it up very slowly (4-5 days). There is growing anecdotal evidence that chelated copper (Coppersafe, Copper Power) is gentler on wrasses than ionic copper (Cupramine).

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...ok. well I've been dosing 0.5 ml of cupramine for 3 doses..instead of 2 doses of 2ml. Was going slowly. I'm not at therapeutic level..so my clock hasn't even started. I ordered a yellow wrasse like a month ago. And yesterday got a call that it finally is at the store pigging out. So It'd be nice to get all qts done at once. Thinking of doing a water change, without dosing, then adding the wrasse, and then start slowly reraising cupramine slowly? Or..do you think I should just put him in?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...ok. well I've been dosing 0.5 ml of cupramine for 3 doses..instead of 2 doses of 2ml. Was going slowly. I'm not at therapeutic level..so my clock hasn't even started. I ordered a yellow wrasse like a month ago. And yesterday got a call that it finally is at the store pigging out. So It'd be nice to get all qts done at once. Thinking of doing a water change, without dosing, then adding the wrasse, and then start slowly reraising cupramine slowly? Or..do you think I should just put him in?

I would do a 50% WC to cut the copper in half, drip acclimate the wrasse into what's left (should be 0.25 mg/L), and then take a few days to get it back up to 0.5. That would be the conservative approach.

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me ask you this. I know. I'm probably over thinking this. After a 30 day course of copper treatment is complete, then what? Do you just do a water change and run carbon? When I'm complete, my DT will be in the midst of a fallow period. So I'll need to continue housing my fish in QT. Do I need to change and clean out the whole tank, if technically all the ick should be dead. I'm considering doing TTM on the wrasse I'm aquiring tonight. I'd use buckets. Then I'd keep it in a bucket until the qt tank finishes it's 30 day treatment. I've just read some bad things on wrasse and copper treatment. And I don't have coppersafe readily available.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me ask you this. I know. I'm probably over thinking this. After a 30 day course of copper treatment is complete, then what? Do you just do a water change and run carbon? When I'm complete, my DT will be in the midst of a fallow period. So I'll need to continue housing my fish in QT. Do I need to change and clean out the whole tank, if technically all the ick should be dead. I'm considering doing TTM on the wrasse I'm aquiring tonight. I'd use buckets. Then I'd keep it in a bucket until the qt tank finishes it's 30 day treatment. I've just read some bad things on wrasse and copper treatment. And I don't have coppersafe readily available.

Start doing WCs and running carbon. It is not necessary to completely remove all of the copper after the 30 day treatment period. You just want to get most of it out. During the fallow period, continue to observe your fish in QT for symptoms of ich just in case. Even behavioral symptoms such as heavy breathing, head twitching, rubbing, flashing should raise a red flag. Also be on the lookout for bacterial infections, as copper probably compromises a fish's immune system somewhat. You also might want to deworm them using Prazipro, if you haven't done so already.

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start doing WCs and running carbon. It is not necessary to completely remove all of the copper after the 30 day treatment period. You just want to get most of it out. During the fallow period, continue to observe your fish in QT for symptoms of ich just in case. Even behavioral symptoms such as heavy breathing, head twitching, rubbing, flashing should raise a red flag. Also be on the lookout for bacterial infections, as copper probably compromises a fish's immune system somewhat. You also might want to deworm them using Prazipro, if you haven't done so already.
So if it were you in my position concerning the wrasse, what would you do? Do TTM then add after 30 da7, or just add them to copper treatment. Just concerned about wrasse making it thru copper treatment.

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it were you in my position concerning the wrasse, what would you do? Do TTM then add after 30 da7, or just add them to copper treatment. Just concerned about wrasse making it thru copper treatment.

If we're still talking about that yellow coris wrasse, I would do copper. It's not like its a sensitive Leopard or Pygmy wrasse or something. You'll be fine. ;)

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we're still talking about that yellow coris wrasse, I would do copper. It's not like its a sensitive Leopard or Pygmy wrasse or something. You'll be fine. ;)
Yup. I just picked the fish up. I talked to the owner for a long time. My concern was if it was a copper sensitive fish. Told me it was not. He keeps his tanks at .5 of copper, and he keeps two separate tanks copper free for copper sensitive wrasse and fish. So after that talk..and your post, feel good about copper qt for him.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back