Ich Discussion and treatment options.

Arijit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
The ich came back again 6 days before..
I have disconnected the sump connection and run only one top filter of main aquarium.
Change 20% water and fillup again with salinity 1.009.
The ich was gone on next day and never come back.. Let my finger crossed..;) :).
Hope the hyposalinity method can work !!!

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to read that. Only fish tank?
My DT is now in a fallow period por 90 days (until december 20). I try eveything to not do it, but ich always came back and took 4 neon gobies.
So 90 days Fallow period and Tank Transfer Method. And for now on, not only a drop will enter the DP without QT o_O

Gladly I still can add shrimps and more corals! hehe.

Arijit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally I won..!!. Hyposalinity is best.. My tang is absolutely fine and healthy.. :)

Arijit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally I won..!!. Hyposalinity is best.. My tang is absolutely fine and healthy.. :)

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good!, but remember the Cycle of Cryptocarion I. in order to really win, I believe you need more time to confirm.

Last edited:

Bleulove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi... I'm pretty new to the hobby, about 2 1/2 yrs in now. I experienced my very first fight with marine ich about 1 1/2 months ago. I noticed my beautiful regal blue tang with soooo many white spots on him, then all of a sudden my purple sailfin looked horrible. As you can imagine, I completely bugged out, up all hours of the night researching the web for an answer if how to get rid of it... All of the answers were not easily achievable, especially with the short time I assumed I only had.. To make a long story short, I was advised to buy 2 cleaner shrimps, which I was reluctant to do because I had a pair of really bad peppermint shrimp who destroyed at least 3 of my favorite LPS, before I was able to trap them & sump them.!!! I gotta say, seems like the cleaner shrimps did the trick! They set up a cleaning station under an overhang & my tangs take turns stopping in to get serviced. It is the funniest thing to see as well. I amped up the garlic laced seaweed & my guys are back to beautiful & I couldn't be more happy! ;-)... It would have been impossible for me to catch my gobies & I think if I had put my lil green spotted mandarin into a hospital tank with no rocks or sand, she would of surely died!
So, by no means do I claim to have found a sure fire cure, or to be an expert, but I am just sharing what seemed to work for my tank & my fish. It was a natural way and upon reading some of Jon B. post, I was definitely inspired to try it. This is just an alternative & I hope it can work for you guys & please cross your fingers for me & send well wishes that it continue working for me as well... Thanks.

Bleulove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi... I'm pretty new to the hobby, about 2 1/2 yrs in now. I experienced my very first fight with marine ich about 1 1/2 months ago. I noticed my beautiful regal blue tang with soooo many white spots on him, then all of a sudden my purple sailfin looked horrible. As you can imagine, I completely bugged out, up all hours of the night researching the web for an answer if how to get rid of it... All of the answers were not easily achievable, especially with the short time I assumed I only had.. To make a long story short, I was advised to buy 2 cleaner shrimps, which I was reluctant to do because I had a pair of really bad peppermint shrimp who destroyed at least 3 of my favorite LPS, before I was able to trap them & sump them.!!! I gotta say, seems like the cleaner shrimps did the trick! They set up a cleaning station under an overhang & my tangs take turns stopping in to get serviced. It is the funniest thing to see as well. I amped up the garlic laced seaweed & my guys are back to beautiful & I couldn't be more happy! ;-)... It would have been impossible for me to catch my gobies & I think if I had put my lil green spotted mandarin into a hospital tank with no rocks or sand, she would of surely died!
So, by no means do I claim to have found a sure fire cure, or to be an expert, but I am just sharing what seemed to work for my tank & my fish. It was a natural way and upon reading some of Jon B. post, I was definitely inspired to try it. This is just an alternative & I hope it can work for you guys & please cross your fingers for me & send well wishes that it continue working for me as well... Thanks.
I am sooo sorry, the correct person's name was Paul B. Gotta give credit were it is due!!!

Dwilson67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!! I have a 90 gallon reef and ich has been killing off my fish one by one for the past 5 months, I'm down to one Picasso clown a bi color blenny and my zebra eel which I know can't get ich, I've tried treating the fish with stuff u mix in there food and also used food that's supposed to treat ich but nothing's worked, I unfortunately don't have a spare tank to QT my remaining fish but if I get them out except the eel I have been reading that within 8-12 weeks the ich will eventually be gone. Is that true????

Bleulove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I posted what I did once my fish began to get ich, read it, not an expert, but it worked for me. In my opinion, those chemical treatments are toxic. I think they are what really kill the fish off not the ich. If u don't have one I would get a good size uv sterilizer as well. It will not kill the ich or cure it, but if you run the flow slow enough it will kill off some of the free floaters & give your fish a fighting chance. Feed they well & don't panic. Try one thing at a time, so if there is an ill effect you can know what caused it. Good luck, oh and you must be sure it is just ich & not marine velvet or brookl.... Sorry I forgot how to spell that last one

Dwilson67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cleaner shrimp and he too has cleaned off my fish and I have a uv sterilizer that's good for up to a 150, this all started when we had bought a Achilles tang and he got ich and died, we lost everything from our Red Sea sailfin to our regular naso to our blonde naso and our fox faces (not all these fish were in at the same time) to even our bullet gobie and most reently our Picasso clowns

Bleulove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... That's horrible, I feel for you, luckily I did not have any of my fish die!!! I've been told the fish may get immunity to the ich, but it will always be present.... I recently added a beautiful streamer Naso, that didn't get ich when I introduced him to the tank. There are many different ways to treat, cooper in a QT tank, leaving the tank fallow for I believe it's 7-9 wks , not sure how well these methods work, I've read up on them all on the web & ppl seem to have it work. Hope you get thru this... How long have you had your tank up & running ?

Dwilson67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it sucks! I think that's what I'm gonna wind up doing is not having anything In the tank for the 8 weeks and then try but I'm not sure if it'll stay in there cause the eel, weyve had it up for about 3 years but it's been a reef for about a 10 months now

syiceman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ginger powder did the trick for me. Mix it in with your feeding for a week should clear up. Will kill bacteria in your tank also.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp, ginger, garlic, etc. will not rid an aquarium of ich. Because even if these were able to "kill" the parasite on the fish (which they have not been proven capable of), ich spends far more time "off fish" than on it. All parasites, including ich, have a tomont stage (think of it like parasite eggs) which encysts upon rocks, shells, substrate - any hard surface really. To defeat ich, it is imperative to have a complete understanding of your foe: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/understanding-ich.188770/

Also, eels have a thick mucous coat which makes their skin naturally resistant to external parasites. However, inside their gills is just as susceptible as any other fish. An eel in a tank with ich means ich's life cycle will continue. It's presence may just be greatly reduced to the point where you barely notice any symptoms, until other fish are introduced which are not as resistant to the parasite.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp, ginger, garlic, etc. will not rid an aquarium of ich. Because even if these were able to "kill" the parasite on the fish (which they have not been proven capable of), ich spends far more time "off fish" than on it. All parasites, including ich, have a tomont stage (think of it like parasite eggs) which encysts upon rocks, shells, substrate - any hard surface really. To defeat ich, it is imperative to have a complete understanding of your foe: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/understanding-ich.188770/

Also, eels have a thick mucous coat which makes their skin naturally resistant to external parasites. However, inside their gills is just as susceptible as any other fish. An eel in a tank with ich means ich's life cycle will continue. It's presence may just be greatly reduced to the point where you barely notice any symptoms, until other fish are introduced which are not as resistant to the parasite.
X1000

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...didn't know eels can't handle copper....I learn something everyday....but that's what I was going to tell him...if he doesn't have a reef tank and Now I know an eel he can't do it....unless he had a qt....maybe a friend has one, or a spare tank to use.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...didn't know eels can't handle copper....I learn something everyday....but that's what I was going to tell him...if he doesn't have a reef tank and Now I know an eel he can't do it....unless he had a qt....maybe a friend has one, or a spare tank to use.

Generally speaking, you don't ever want to use copper on any scaleless or "prehistoric" fish - sharks, rays, eels, lions, puffers, seahorses, pipefish all come to mind. Mandarins don't handle copper well either, for some reason. Chloroquine phosphate is the treatment of choice for these animals.

Back