Ich Discussion and treatment options.

Sahye

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be stupid but can't we study at what voltage an ich die and then pass an electric current in our aquarium or even study how much time an ich can stay without oxygen

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electric current through our tanks....I'm sorry but wouldn't that put a little shock to our fish...and stressed them out
X2 not a good idea. I've had DC in tanks unknowingly for days and it's actually made ich more of a problem due to stress in my ich management tanks over the years. This was enough voltage to really get your attention when you touch the water!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be stupid but can't we study at what voltage an ich die and then pass an electric current in our aquarium or even study how much time an ich can stay without oxygen

Well, first you'd have to remove all fish/corals/inverts because I'm sure whatever electric current/no O2 killed ich would kill them as well. In fact, I think something potent enough to kill parasite tomonts (even copper can't do that) would also likely eradicate all your nitrifying bacteria and thus uncycle your tank. :eek:

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish, what is your view on UV sterilizers? BRS has a pretty interesting video on them. After IM'ing w/Chad (on the BRS site), he suggested going full blast w/the 80W monster on my 90g! That seems like one heck of an expense for a moderate improvement on the issues mentioned in this thread.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish, what is your view on UV sterilizers? BRS has a pretty interesting video on them. After IM'ing w/Chad (on the BRS site), he suggested going full blast w/the 80W monster on my 90g! That seems like one heck of an expense for a moderate improvement on the issues mentioned in this thread.

Minimally effective at removing some of the theronts (free swimmers). Will never remove them all. Bigger is better when it comes to UV. Unless things have improved you have to change the lamp every 6 months for the UV to remain effective. Bottom line... not worth it IMHO.

Back