Ich help please

crystal181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am experiencing my first bout with ich. I've set up a 29 gallon HT for them. I will be starting copper treatment soon. My question is I know I read somewhere to use half the suggested dose at first then gradually increase the copper. Is that true? Any help is much appreciated.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish are you treating? By following the instructions on the bottle, it should still take you about 6 days to reach 0.5ppm. No problem if you take longer to get there, but you need to hold 0.5 for 4 weeks.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my fish. A tiny blue hippo tang, a couple dwarf angels, basslets, clowns.

Dwarf Angels are a little more sensitive to copper treatment than other fish. Given this, I would recommend ramping up the dosage slowly as you thought. And I am thinking keeping the dosage at 0.4PPM would be a little more appropriate. It is said that anything above 0.3PPM is effective, but I like a little wiggle room in case the dosage drops for any reason. Hold it for 4 weeks either way though as mentioned.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself an ammonia alert badge from seachem.Do you have a well seeded filter?. High ammonia will kill your fish fast.

bearjohnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is going to be your biggest concern when treating in a QT tank. After day two or three you'll want to test every 2 to 3 days. You may find yourself changing water 2-3 times a week.

Also take no short-cuts when dealing with Ich. You'll want to quarantine and treat for three full months.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also take no short-cuts when dealing with Ich. You'll want to quarantine and treat for three full months.

No need to treat with Cupramine for 3 months. 4 weeks treatment, then just monitor for the remaining 6 weeks while the DT is fallow.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if you don't match temperature, salinity and pH. Get these as close as possible, and you are fine.

Mastertechrepair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love natural cures so I like to use 2 garlic gloves and crush it and put it in a high flow area and it doesnt harm ur fish at all u can also mix it with their food they love it ....

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
marhshall and the others have great advice for you here. yes, gradually increasing the level over a week or so is a great idea. make sure if using cupramine to test with seachem's test kit.

I love natural cures so I like to use 2 garlic gloves and crush it and put it in a high flow area and it doesnt harm ur fish at all u can also mix it with their food they love it ....
what does this have to do with the original poster's intent on removing the ich parasite?

ks_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Well lots of info so far. My cupramine bottle says use 16 drops per 10.5gal then repeat this 48 hrs later. Always worked for me. Even on a solar wrasse . And then to hold proper level for 14 days. Dont know where 4 weeks came from. Use good test kit like the seachem one. Display tank sits fallow for at least 8 weeks. Also when doing water change be sure to do the math and add back proper amout of cupramine to new water. Hypo works too. Get a good refractometer if going this way. I keep seachem stability on hand too to aid in seeding qt.

Mastertechrepair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic is too avoid ich ...

marhshall and the others have great advice for you here. yes, gradually increasing the level over a week or so is a great idea. make sure if using cupramine to test with seachem's test kit.

what does this have to do with the original poster's intent on removing the ich parasite?

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If garlic is introduced to the tank and is fed along with food ich can be avoided
that's incorrect and it is scientifically proven otherwise. if you cannot find the proof, i'd be glad to pull the research studies and papers and PM you for your reference. it's important that a lot of these misconceptions get removed from our hobby to prevent further misfortune.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back