Ich in my tank!

J_Hooligan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as some of you may or may not know I posted a thread about my blenny having ich and I'm worried that it's going to spread and kill my tang and everything else. I'm keeping them well fed and they actively swim everywhere. You can't tell they have ich and some days you can see it and some days you can't. They can fight it off on their own right? I'm using garlic on all the food I give them

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once ich is in an aquarium, it's tough to treat. Feeding garlic doesn't "fight" the parasite, but has shown to be beneficial at keeping fish's natural immune system healthy. Fish can get over ich, and even form a temporary resistance to the parasite. The problem is, ich is still in the aquarium, so when a new fish is added, chances are, it won't be ich resistant and the parasite will break out again. If your fish's resistance to ich fades, they can break out or a new addition can cause a whole new round. Some species are more susceptible to dying from ich than others. Running your tank fallow for several months and qt'ing your fish in a hospital tank with treatment, is the only way to clear an infected aquarium. If you decide to live with it, you will see the parasite make many appearances during your tenure as an aquarist.

OP
OP
J

J_Hooligan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantine all my fish, I guess the last fish I quarantined wasn't long enough. The problem is getting all the fish out and putting them in the 10 gallon tank for over a month is something that I don't want to do since there's not much space in the tank :( I don't know what to do

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back